Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Conditioning on the primary/secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
jiffybrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer Conditioning on the primary/secondary

I've got a batch that i've been meaning to bottle but just haven't gotten around to it. (havent gathered enough bottles) Its been sitting on the primary for a month already. There are stories on the forum that mention beer sitting in the primary for 6 months with no problems. Is it possible that my beer is actually conditioning in the primary right and actually getting better as i lag in bottling?
After beer has passed the fermentation process, is it basically conditioning? What exactly happens to the beer during conditioning?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Mainly the yeast are working through byproducts and intermediate chemicals.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Yes your beer is improving while you wait and the yeast are helping that process. I wouldn't leave it for 6 months but if your yeast was healthy when pitched you are probably good for 2-3months.

GT

Quick Reply