Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer buzz: Storebought vs Homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
keesh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
^ those are some excellent points, it's spurning me to undertake a multiple year project of much careful research and experimentation.
Of course, in the name of experimentation

Primary - 1 Gal JAOM, Belgian IPA, Pumpkin ale
Secondary - 5-way split Breakfast Imperial Stout, 2 Gal Traditional mead
Bottled - Kolsch, Pliny the Younger clone, Centennial Blonde, Alpine's Nelson clone, Apfelwein, QuicknDirty Cider
On deck - EdWort's Haus Pale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
normzone
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Well, sacrifices must be made in the name of science, but I'm still hoping to find that somebody has already done the research and published it, thereby allowing me to focus my research dollars on ingredients.

The comment about the alcohol level not being as high as I think it is is interesting, albeit unsupported as of yet.

I am aware of the error inherent in my measurements, but I consume the proper levels of S.G. so it should be close.

Carbonation is different but similar, I "shake carb" in the keg. Mouthfeel is not exactly the same, so maybe carbonation / water chemistry are issues - I'm using "water store" water which has pretty much everything stripped out and I'm not yet experimenting with modifying the water chemistry.

I've always found homebrew to be a more "relaxing" or "euphoriant" buzz, and less of an overt intoxicant. I give credit to B vitamans in yeast for this, but if there's one thing I have learned in this pass at brewing is that everything I thought I knew is wrong.

I using temperature control (ales fermented in the sixties F) but not blowoff hoses yet. What effect would that contribute?

I'm an IPA fiend, so I'm getting plenty of hops.

Thanks all - Norman

Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Yes you see also with homebrew you know exactly what you put into the brew. Commercial brews you do not know that for absolute certainty. Many food products contain ingredients that are not listed on the label. Yes it would be nice if we could simply take faith in the honesty and integrity of food and beverage producers but that is simply not the case.

Hm is there government funding available for such research projects? I'm starting my research right now this evening either way, and so far it is going very very well.

I have noticed a unique effect from homebrew I have never experienced with any commercial brews, but it could be because of other factors such as yarrow. That's why I"m working on perfecting the stupefying essence.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post

Hm is there government funding available for such research projects? I'm starting my research right now this evening either way, and so far it is going very very well.
There is. Your grant proposal must be the greatest of all time though.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
normzone
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I was thinking about this issue again last night and I thought I'd find this thread and see what wisdom had been appended. I was setting up my cold crash bucket and drank some pints of unfiltered, uncarbonated.

Definitely a different, slower to kick in buzz, so I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that carbonation is a big factor.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
char005
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are using "store water" without alot of minerals remaining and brewing pale colored IPAs without water adjustment, your pH levels are going to be out of range for what a commercial brewer would shoot for. That would lead to muddled flavors and possibly lack of minerals that would lead to clarity and stability in your brew. The yeast could also not attenuate as well as a result, leaving less hooch fo yo mouf. Just another theory. Plus you be experiencing jim koch's "yeast makes you less drunk" theory cause homebrew usually has much more yeast in suspension

Quick Reply