Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer and blood pressure/cholesterol meds - feedback appreciated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Beer and blood pressure/cholesterol meds - feedback appreciated

If this is the wrong place to post Mods please move - I didn't know where else to post this.

I'll state right off this thread is NOT meant to give any form of medical advice whatsoever that supersedes any doctor or pharmacological information!

I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and have had it for many years no matter how healthy I've tried to be. It's time I go on some meds. My doctor prescribed me Losartan for blood pressure control. I told him I drink often, when I get home from work, and that I have 4 pints or so. He shrugged it off saying it's ok and Losartan is well tested and tolerated. He also said it's ok so long as one drinks in moderation. Well obviously 4 pints or so a night is not moderate and on the weekends I drink most of the day. I don't get toasted or anything and I am NOT a hard liquor guy. I did some Googling and Losartan seems to be an ok drug for one that drinks as I do. However, I looked up Cholesterol meds and almost all seem to say drinking is very bad as the drugs work in the liver and drinking while on them can damage the liver.

So, my reason for posting is to see who here might be on blood pressure or cholesterol meds and continuing their routine drinking without any serious adverse side effects. I am really hoping to just get some feedback here and I will say it again - I am not meaning any info provided to be of advice that supersedes doctor/pharmacological information. I am merely looking for real world beer drinkers that unfortunately have to take these medications and their experiences with them. Thank you!

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 214

This type thread is a REALLY bad idea. All it's going to do is fill with anecdotal experiences which are statistically meaningless and are only likely to show a tiny portion of an individuals medical history and relevant health issues. There are other reasons why it's not a good idea. For example, it can take many years for negative consequences of drinking and cholesterol medications to appear. Just because your liver has survived 5 or 10 years of chemical trauma doesn't mean you're in the clear.

Full disclosure: I'm a doctor.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Rev2010
Recipes 

I realize all that but what is a person to do? I'm a beer connoisseur and a home brewer. I can either do zero about my issue or I can ask others for their experiences. Doctors always have pre-programmed responses and always play the side of "everything in moderation and eat healthy and exercise" - things that I won't realistically do. I have a stressful job and simply can not currently make the time to exercise when I get home. I am however eating very healthy, and it hasn't made a lick of difference.

I already stated several times that any feedback given will not be held to any sort of "factual" basis. I know everyone is different and time makes a huge difference. Rather than negativity, a few responses from people of our sort that are on such meds would be more helpful.

Rev.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I take medicine fror cholesterol and my doctor knows I drink he has never said anything. I have never had a problem and I have been taking it for 10 years. My father has been taking it for as long as I can remember and is a drinker and hasn't had a problem. I am no doctor or any kind of medical professional though.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
evrose
Recipes 

I don't mean to sound too harsh about it, and I do acknowledge that your intentions are good. I'm not trying to be negative. However, in my years of lurking about the depths of the Interwebs, combined with training and experience as a physician can only lead me to conclude that threads like this rarely, if ever, lead to a productive exchange of information.

" Doctors always have pre-programmed responses and always play the side of "everything in moderation and eat healthy and exercise" - things that I won't realistically do."

Maybe there's a reason we all say this, eh? What I'm really hearing you say is that you don't like the advice you've been given and are looking to find other who will give you an answer that is more conducive to continuing the lifestyle you have and like. That way you can justify your decision based on the answers of some random internet, beer brewing forum denizens. Again, I don't mean to sound harsh, I really don't. But I've seen this happen before. Hundreds of times.

Look, you have to make decisions in your life and ultimately take responsibility for those decisions. It's a FACT that taking cholesterol meds in combination with moderate or higher alcohol consumption carries a risk of liver damage. Sorry, but it just is. Doctors aren't telling you that because of some pre-programmed reflex programmed in to them in medical school. It's up to YOU how you react to that information. You may decide it's a risk worth taking. Other's won't. There's no right or wrong answer to something like this. A risk is just that, it's not a guarantee that you'll have problems, but it worsens your odds.

A discussion of the risks and how people deal with those things can be helpful in some cases. What I think can be dangerous are threads filled with anecdotes like, "my grandpa drank a gallon of Wild Turkey every day, ate 64 ounces of prime rib for lunch, never exercised a day in his life, smoked five cigars before noon, and had sex with Thai hookers he picked up in Bangkok bars for 60 years and he died at the age of 95 in an accident when he was skydiving."

Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
GySgtLynn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Let's leave Thailand hookers outta this LOL..

Liquid Medication Brewery

Primary: Pale Ale

Secondary: None

Bottled: None

Keg: Chipotle Stout

Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
Rev2010
Recipes 

Evrose, thanks so much for continuing to try to get my thread shut down. You'll likely succeed. This is the internet, it's a discussion forum. I didn't think it would be such a big deal trying to discuss other people's experiences.

Rev.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #8
evrose
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Evrose, thanks so much for continuing to try to get my thread shut down.
That loud "whoooooshing" noise everyone is hearing is the sound of The Point flying at high speed over the head of the rev.

I tried. Carry on fellow brewers. Carry on.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
evrose
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgtLynn View Post
Let's leave Thailand hookers outta this LOL..
I spent two nights in Bangkok at the tail end of honeymoon last year. While walking around at night, looking for tasty street food, the following conversation took place:

Me, "Hey, did you see that honey? That hooker just grabbed my hand and asked if I was doing anything."

Wife, "How much did she want?"

Me, "WHAT? Um, I didn't ask."

Wife, "Go back and ask. I'm curious. Get an hourly rate."

Me, "Are you freakin' serious, or are those fried bugs we ate an hour ago displaying hallucinogenic properties?"

Wife, "I just want to know what a Thai street hooker makes. We'll never have a better chance to find out. Now, are you going to ask, or do I have to?"

Me, "Oh honey, you'll get a different rate than I would, I imagine." I immediately regretted saying that.

Wife, "Challenge Accepted! We meet back here in 10 minutes with prices." And off she went.

True story.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
Sithdad
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
I spent two nights in Bangkok at the tail end of honeymoon last year. While walking around at night, looking for tasty street food, the following conversation took place:

Me, "Hey, did you see that honey? That hooker just grabbed my hand and asked if I was doing anything."

Wife, "How much did she want?"

Me, "WHAT? Um, I didn't ask."

Wife, "Go back and ask. I'm curious. Get an hourly rate."

Me, "Are you freakin' serious, or are those fried bugs we ate an hour ago displaying hallucinogenic properties?"

Wife, "I just want to know what a Thai street hooker makes. We'll never have a better chance to find out. Now, are you going to ask, or do I have to?"

Me, "Oh honey, you'll get a different rate than I would, I imagine." I immediately regretted saying that.

Wife, "Challenge Accepted! We meet back here in 10 minutes with prices." And off she went.

True story.
You can't leave the story end like that! Where the prices different? Details, man! Details!

In Re: to the OP. I have been taking Simvastatin for 15 years, however, I drink very rarely. There are weeks I'll have 4 beers and there are weeks when I have none. My liver panel comes back good every time. With that being said. This is one of those things where you're just going to have to "suck it up" and change your lifestyle (i.e. drink less). I, too, have had to make a similar difficult decision.
20 years ago I tore my medial meniscus (cartilage) while playing soccer in high school and I stopped playing soccer. Got it repaired & went through therapy and I haven't had a problem since then. That is until February of this year. I decided to play competitive soccer again and sure enough I tore the exact same meniscus in the same knee. Now, I've only got 70% of my meniscus left. I LOVE soccer. I love watching it, coaching my kids, but most of all I love playing. If I want to continue to destroy my knee I can keep playing. If I don't want to have knee replacement I have to stop (which is exactly what I've decided to do). I'm never playing competitive soccer again and it SUCKS.
Adjust your way of life. Ask your doctor how many beers a day is too many and work from there. Make session beers (<4% abv). You'll still be able to drink a lot but since they're low alcohol it might not be as bad for you.

Quick Reply