Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Belly

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #21
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2679 Times on 1593 Posts
Likes Given: 5843

One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of calories in beer come from alcohol (7 calories per gram), which is used as an immediate energy source by the body, so it doesn't get stored. The only thing contributing to the "beer belly" is the relatively minimal amount of carbs. Obviously, the fuller bodied beers are going to have more carbs, but in general an average gravity, medium bodied beer is going to have about 15 grams of carbs. If you have two a night that's 30 grams of carbs, which is nothing compared to a typical person's average daily carb intake. I personally focus on reducing carbs rather than total caloric intake to make up for the beer.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

jonmohno Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Ive had a few scottish 60 ales they are like 3.5% ABV. But they have a ton of flavor. I would brew a few lower alchohol beers.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
Toccata
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default A calorie is a calorie

A calorie is a measure of energy. 1 cal=1 cal, source is irrelevant.

Anyway, in addition to keeping your caloric intake in check, add some core strengthening exercises to keep all those organs where they belong.

The plank is all you really need.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Assuming you already eat healthy and exercise, I think your best bet is drink half pints! I usually end up drinking less. If you've got a smartphone try an app like 'alcodroid' to keep track.

Drink less tasty beer, rather than less-tasty beer :P

And speaking as a physiologist: the source of a calorie IS relevant. The idea that 1000 calories from fruit and veg is just a bad as 1000 calories of greasy meat is sadly a bit if a myth from health campaigns a few years back.
The human body doesn't count in exact calories, and is far more influenced by the nature of your diet than the exact quantity. Besides, a varied diet is great for staving off all sorts (not least, forms of cancer) even if its not for weight-loss.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyday View Post
Ive had a few scottish 60 ales they are like 3.5% ABV. But they have a ton of flavor. I would brew a few lower alchohol beers.
This for sure, and if you haven't yet, introduce yourself to the British Special and Ordinary Bitter. Absolutely killer 3.5-4% ABV session beers with IMO massive flavor.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata
A calorie is a measure of energy. 1 cal=1 cal, source is irrelevant.

Anyway, in addition to keeping your caloric intake in check, add some core strengthening exercises to keep all those organs where they belong.

The plank is all you really need.
While you are correct in the equivalence of calories as being equal as a source of energy, thats only one side of the equation. It takes calories to digest food. It takes the body 27 calories to digest 100 cals from protein where as it takes only 4-7cals to digest carbs. So 100 calories from low fat beef, youre left with 73 calories, if it were from candy, youre left with 94-97. If youre body cant readily burn the energy it stores it as fat (which is why you can still gain weight from low fat high calorie diets, and the reason the Atkins diet was popular... for about 2 months, lol)

Source is by no means irrelevant.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the majority of calories in beer come from alcohol (7 calories per gram), which is used as an immediate energy source by the body, so it doesn't get stored.
The alcohol doesn't get stored, but that also means your liver can't work on other stuff...so any glucose/fat gets stored until it's done with the alcohol.

Also, eat more fat and less carbs. Reduce the glucose load on your system. And +1 for full-flavored session beers.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #28
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Different school of thought on this issue.

I make diabetic friendly beers (search, it wont be hard to find the thread) these have fewer carbs than a non-DF counterpart.

I base all my meals on "up to" 30 carbs with 1 15 carb afternoon snack. Ideally 0 carbs is the goal. I do not count beer carbs/calories but I binge drink. I have none to few during the week and x2 more than I need on either Friday or Saturday. I also now drink Pepsi Max instead of regular soda.

This practice alone made my weight gain stop and slowly reverse direction but I need more. I needed to find a way to exercise that did not feel like exercise. I have done enough PT in the Army for a lifetime and I HATE EXERCISING. I mean I would rather hook electrodes up to my muscles and run electricity through my body before doing even 1 more pushup. This has been my largest hurdle to overcome.

In the last few months I have started playing Dagorhir. It is a medieval foam fighting game/group. Nerdy? Yeah but I flat out do not care. I do not wear tights or speak in a fake accent. (I do wear period garb however) There are no "spells" being cast, it is pure combat. If you have never tried to fight someone with forceful blows via hand held weapons, I can tell you it is one of the most exhausting things one can participate in. Hollywood does not portray these battles correctly. Keep in mind I am overweight and 40ish and have not actively exercised in about 20 years (give or take a few). I practice 1 time a week for 4 hours. But has it helped? Well, I have had to punch 5 new holes in my daily leather belt. I have no idea how much weight I have shed but I am guessing I have lost 5 inches, I am also stronger and faster now.

Even if you do not like the idea of a fighting game there is a way that you can find a way to exercise that is more fun that standard PT but YOU have to seek it out.

I wish you all the best.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts

I like to reduce my calorie intake from other sources--in other words, drink on an empty stomach. This has the following benefits:

A: Imbibing a given quantity of alcohol on an empty stomach will make you drunker than doing so on a full stomach--it's cost effective!
B: You can drink more, thinking of all the calories you're not spending on those buffalo wings and sweet potato pies
C: If you can encourage members of the opposite sex to engage in the same strategy, the chances of extracurricular aerobic activity increase markedly
D: Because of (C), you can drink even more, since you're burning even more calories. It's a virtuous cycle!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #30
B2Barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXBob View Post
Eat healthy, drink in moderation, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Lol.

Quick Reply