New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Belly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #101
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 95

This is one of those topics where everyone is an expert but no one knows sh!t. Even my doctor tries to tell me what to eat and not to eat and he is a huge fat ass... but he is a doctor right? So he must know right? lol. I told him I was going to fix my cholesterol without statins by not eating wheat, corn, or refined sugars and by eating crap tons of animal fat and vegetables. He said I was crazy.

Now after successfully doing just that... our relationship now pretty much consists of him authorizing my yearly blood test so I can see how my health indicators are and him cutting the occasional scary mole out (which he is in fact good at) because I once had a malignant melanoma.

Of course, now that I am healthy, I can get away with the occasional beer here, ice cream there bit.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #102
TheSlash
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Also don't just count a beer as 200 calories. Some have over 400. My dogfish 90 I just had was 300 calories. That was for 12 ounces not a pint. This whole thread and life just boils down to, most people are just lazy and uninformed when it comes to exercise and diet. It isn't hard. Almost everything works. You just have to stick to an effort level above sloth.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #103
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlash View Post
You just have to stick to an effort level above sloth.
Hey man... be nice to sloths. I love the furry little bastards. And they actually try very hard. They just have very low metabolic rates (probably due to enzyme activity at low body temperatures).

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #104
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Personal experience story. I quit drinking Mt Dew, started counting calories, and make better choices on food. I have cut back on red meat for chicken. Fried foods are practically gone from my plate. The sharp decrease was a sinus infection. The two sharp increases were beer festivals where I over ate and drank.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #105
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin
Personal experience story. I quit drinking Mt Dew, started counting calories, and make better choices on food. I have cut back on red meat for chicken. Fried foods are practically gone from my plate. The sharp decrease was a sinus infection. The two sharp increases were beer festivals where I over ate and drank.
Quit drinking mt dew?? Sorry, thats a fate worse then death if you ask me, I am quite addicted to the dew... But i limit myself to 1 softdrink a day. :-)

Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #106
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1425 Posts
Likes Given: 5662

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlash View Post
It isn't hard. Almost everything works. You just have to stick to an effort level above sloth.
Maybe it isn't hard for you, but the fact is almost nothing works because each person's biology and genetics are different. I do believe that there is a diet out there for everyone, but some people (such as myself) have yet to find that diet.

The thing I really don't get is, on paper I am in pretty good shape. I have good cholesterol levels, good blood pressure and a resting heart rate of approximately 50 bpm. But I'm about 50 lbs overweight if you follow traditional guidance. I believe that if your ticker is in good shape and you take care of your body by eating a nutritionally sound diet, weight shouldn't even be relevant. Some people just weren't built with the genetics for a skinny body.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #107
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
The thing I really don't get is, on paper I am in pretty good shape. I have good cholesterol levels, good blood pressure and a resting heart rate of approximately 50 bpm. But I'm about 50 lbs overweight if you follow traditional guidance. I believe that if your ticker is in good shape and you take care of your body by eating a nutritionally sound diet, weight shouldn't even be relevant. Some people just weren't built with the genetics for a skinny body.
Awesome progress, but don't give much credit to the BMI index number shown there. BMI only takes into account height and weight, no other variables such as bodyfat and fitness level. According to the BMI index most linebackers in the NFL are "obese".

Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #108
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
This is one of those topics where everyone is an expert but no one knows sh!t. Even my doctor tries to tell me what to eat and not to eat and he is a huge fat ass... but he is a doctor right? So he must know right? lol. I told him I was going to fix my cholesterol without statins by not eating wheat, corn, or refined sugars and by eating crap tons of animal fat and vegetables. He said I was crazy.
This. Although not all doctors are created equal, if I want nutritional advice, I'll see a nutritionist. If I have a broken leg, I'll see a doctor.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #109
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Still hungry? Yes, tough. Maybe don't waste your calories on twinkies tomorrow. Restrict calories and you'll learn what to eat.
But that doesn't work.

I'm NEVER hungry, not even very much at dinner time. Really. I eat plenty of food, and almost always feel terrific. Because of the food I eat, I am always satiated and never hungry. I eat FAR more than 1200 calories a day now, but way back when when I counted calories I did not.

The whole calorie in/calorie out nutritional advice has been debunked in the last few years by research and science. It's true that you won't get fat if you eat a low enough calorie diet, but it's not optimum for proper nutrition for humans.
Bumpasourus Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #110
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x

Awesome progress, but don't give much credit to the BMI index number shown there. BMI only takes into account height and weight, no other variables such as bodyfat and fitness level. According to the BMI index most linebackers in the NFL are "obese".
Oh yeah, BMI is a joke. I think a "healthy" BMI would put me down in the 160-170s whereas I'm aiming for 180-195.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Quick Reply