*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer,Beer More Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #31
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestuff
I third that, Dr. Jeckels in Arlington is only a few minutes from me, and I'm sure closer to you Ryan, but I prefer to use Austin Homebrew (and don't like Dr. Jeckels). Even with the shipping, which isn't much, it is still cheaper than driving to any of the other shops around here, and their selection is far better. They can also get your order here in two days, as long as they aren't too backed up.

To anyone in the DFW area, I prefer Austin Homebrew Supplies because...

Homebrew Headquarters (Dallas) - Good selection, and nice helpful staff but, it's in the busiest part of DFW just North of 635 & 75 on Coit at the bottom of the Compass Bank building. (like hell driving over there), and it is a little pricier than Austin. Also, bulk LME may not be as fresh do to less turnover, and no shop can mach Austin's selection. They have a great selection of really fresh yeasts from White Labs and WYeast though.

The Winemaker Shop (Fort Woth) - Smaller selection, obviously geared more towards winemaking, no bulk extract, unhelpful, unfriendly staff. A little hard to spot in a strip center off of south Loop 820. I havn't spent much time here because I don't feel very welcome when there, like I'm intruding on their little club.

Dr. Jeckels (Arlington) - Smallest, somewhat poor/dated selection. If you don't know where it is, chances are you won't try to find it. In Pantego (a small town in the center of Arlington for those wondering) on Park Row next to Captain Billy Whizbangs Hamburgers (which rocks ), a mile or so from UTA. Pat is a nice guy, but a little unhelpful IMO, I know others that disagree, besides, they don't have much stuff for him to help yuou with. They do have a great micro brew selection though.
I have been going to winemakers shop, I love their prices on equipment, the are by far the cheapest i have seen. Funny enough though, I had never heard of Dr. Jeckels until the other day, I was talking to a guy up at the Liquor store about beer and home brewing came up and he told me about the place. I was planing on going their to get my stuff for my next brew, or should i not waste my time. Thanks for the info, I wanted to try out the place in Dallas, but i try to stay away from Dallas if it all possible, I hate the traffic. I do have to agree about the unfreindly part at Winemakers shop, you have to pry info out of them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2007, 05:59 AM   #32
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dr. Jeckel's doesn't have WYeast, and I wouldn't trust their LME. I don't think that they get much traffic, so some stuff may be old. Pat (the big guy that owns the place, and I think the only employee) is a nice guy though, I would say at least check it out and see how you like it. It's where I got most of my equipment when I first started out, don't expect to a great selection though.

You can check out homebrewhq.com for the place in Dallas, they have an online catalog.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Last edited by BarleyWater; 03-30-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:02 AM   #33
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They also have the Buffalo Theory of Drinking Beer on their website:

Quoted from hombrewhq.com

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.
This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells.

But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 03-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #34
Beer Weevel
Recipes 

I agree with olllllo that Austin Home Brew needs to have more pictures of their products and their web site is harder to navigate, I think Williams has a great web site but their prices are high. Probably to pay for the web site?

Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #35
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Williams has the best looking site, but it's not all that easy to navigate either. As far as ease of navigation, Midwest is tops - especially if you use their javascript menus.

Pictures are key, but being able to navigate to the product list in one click from the main page is important too. If stuff is hidden below 3 levels of clicks, it's tough to find.

Their search is also nice because it includes pictures with the results

Old 03-31-2007, 06:07 AM   #36
Wizza

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
I have a new person working 60 hours a week to fix all of the descriptions and photos. It should all be revamped shortly.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply
Very nice! im a noob here and have been reading every post. looked at so many websites looking for my gear to buy and was not likeing your website for just that reason. But will be very happy to see it in it's new light

Quick Reply