Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer - an aquired taste??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

I'm getting my roomate slowly hooked on good beer. Until last month, his favorite beer was Miller Light. He would drink the occasional Microbrew, but tended to claim ML as his favorite. I think he recently had that "revelation" that we all have had, because he is obsessed with Sierra Nevada now. He is to the point where he will order a $3.50 SNPA over the Miller Light on $1 draft night. I'm so proud!

Now I'm going to try to work him into some IPA's and stouts.

On another note, I think a lot of people have a huge holdup about "dark" beer. We obviously know that "dark" is not a style. A dry stout (dark) has a VERY different taste than say a Scottish Ale (still dark to a BMC drinker). One of my friends is convinced that all "dark" beer tastes like wood...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i have made 4 batches so far...all of them being "pretty good" or "it tastes like beer!"

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 08-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
Area51BrewCo
Recipes 

I am lucky I guess. A lot of my friends drink quality beer. Unless it is a session beer situation I usually see Goose Islands beer more then I see the BMC's. I even have a few Stout drinkers that love my porters and Stouts. This may stem from the fact that they are mostly made up of Southside Irish.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #14
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I would say to you that an IPA is definitely an aquired taste. Those used to drinking BMC will hate the taste of hops

And yes, beer is definitely an acquired taste. My first beer was a Budweiser, it was when I was on vacation and my parents gave it to me, I think I was 14, and I was like "Why do people like beer so much?" I thought it tasted awful. Now I love it. Obviously

And yes, I now have my parents drinking better beer than Bud. They both prefer Sam Adams.

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Old 08-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyShamrock View Post
Well I would say to you that an IPA is definitely an aquired taste. Those used to drinking BMC will hate the taste of hops

And yes, beer is definitely an acquired taste. My first beer was a Budweiser, it was when I was on vacation and my parents gave it to me, I think I was 14, and I was like "Why do people like beer so much?" I thought it tasted awful. Now I love it. Obviously

And yes, I now have my parents drinking better beer than Bud. They both prefer Sam Adams.
I was a Miller Lite drinker before discovering HomeBrewing. The first homebrew that I made was a Stout that I loved at first sip. The second was an IPA which hooked me the instant I tried that. I haven't looked back since!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
knapdalebrewer
Recipes 

A lot of foods and such are "acquired tastes". That's why when you start feeding babies solid food you introduce them one item at a time to get them used to them. There are several foods that I eat all the time now that I wouldn't touch even as a teenager. Why should beer be any different. My "baby beer" happened to be Coors. Yuck! But I'm not digging into a jar of strained carrots anytime soon either.

I had my first Barleywine at the local micro a couple of days ago. OMG! Heaven in a snifter. After I try a couple of easier recipes and work on my technique, I'm going there.

Circle me, Lord.
Keep protection near
And danger afar.
Circle me, Lord
Keep hope within.
Keep doubt without.
Circle me, Lord.
Keep light near
And darkness afar.
Circle me, Lord.
Keep peace within.
Keep evil out.
Celtic Prayer

Old 08-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #17
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The OPs premise about all beer preferences being an acquired taste resonates with me and matches my observations and my own experience.

I acquired a taste for Falstaff, Schlitz, Jax, and Pearl when I was younger than I care to admit now; but being young and foolish, the impetus for imbibing was definitely not a desire for a rare and unique flavor experience. It was the social lubricant effect that I was after.

Jax went the way of the DoDo, Dixie just wasn't the same, Billy Beer was a short-lived fad, Schlitz and Falstaff seemed old-fashioned and lost their appeal for me, and Pearl became hard to find where I lived. I switched to Bud and Miller for years, and sometimes I drank Coors. There were no microbrews available.

Then sometime in the late '80s I encountered Samuel Adams Lager. This is the beer that really opened my eyes and my taste buds. I think if it had not been for Sam Adams and the subsequent burgeoning growth of the microbrew industry, I'd never have acquired a taste for high quality ales and lagers or the desire to brew my own.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #18
BADS197
Recipes 

I was never really a beer fan. I think of beer as the slower of the ways to get a good buzz going on while making several trips to the latrine during the process. I don't like beer, in the classic sense, much really.

I started liking it when we drank some microbrew that tasted good.

I'll drink it if it tastes good and then it's just the means to an end... get a good buzz going on only difference being is that it tasted a whole lot better than BMC.

I'll try almost any microbrew now and havn't had a "commercial" beer since then.

Frosty Nipple Brewing Co.

Bottled
Pumpkin Ale
Faw-Kin Hevy Scotch Ale
Slam Dunkelweizen
GPC American Ale
Not-October Octoberfest Ale

Primary
English Pale Ale
Secondary

Keg
#1 2.5g - Faw-kin Hevy Scotch Ale
#2 2.5g - Nut Brown Ale

Next
American Amber
English Pale

Old 08-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on the acquired taste.

When my wife and I first started dating, about all she would drink was Miller Light and Killians. I slowly started introducing her to different types of craft beers and better commercial beers. At first she was really not into hoppy beers or stouts. Now she loves stouts, porters and Dogfish Head 60 and just about everything else in between.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #20
Loup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teu1003 View Post
Go to a beer store ... why is there 4,000 six-packs of bmc stacked to the cieling and only 4 six packs of Troegs Hop Back Amber? Its cuz, to the average beer drinker, the Amber is GROSS!
There is a new liquor store near my house, I went there for the first time about a week ago, the BMC only takes up about 25% of the cooler space and is tucked in the corner furthest from the door (although, I'm sure it's in that corner to make sure that a fair number of their customers are forced to look at half the merchandise before they leave.)

Quick Reply