Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer advocate mag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I still go to their website on occasion, especially if I see a new brew in an area I'm unfamiliar with. It can help you decide on what to try when you're traveling.

But for the most part, the higher the alcohol, the better the reviews. 9+% ABV beers are usually well-reviewed! Any "normal" beers are pretty much panned.
yep, a bad example of IIPA gets a 90, a great example of english bitter gets a 78, go figure.
i still like to read the reviews there from time to time, especially when trying a brew i've never heard of, but i take what i read with a grain of salt.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I've been a BA subscriber for about 3 years and I like it. It's definitely not a homebrewers magazine, but it's a good read for anyone who enjoys beer.

If you are involved in a brewpub, they do a good job of covering some of the regulatory issues that impact commercial beer. They also cover topics and trends in the craft beer ecosystem - something that may also be of interest to you.

I agree that the tone of some of the editorials can be a bit much, but I enjoy the contributors and profiles of successful craft brewers.

I don't pay much attention to the reviews except to help guide me to new beers or styles I might want to look for at my local.

Overall I think it's a well published magazine that would interest anyone who likes beer. Of course, I also enjoy Modern Drunkard Magazine...

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Hey Grinder!

Spartan from FGI here! I get BA. It's okay. It would probably be better reading for those on the East Coast. But there's a couple interesting columns each month. Almost always a recipe article on cooking with beer. At least you can take a tax deduction for it if you order it through your pub!

Quick Reply