New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 'Beer Advocate' Inaugural Issue!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 'Beer Advocate' Inaugural Issue!

Hey, guys...just showed up for my obligatory few hours at the wine/beer shop, and I noticed something different...the Inaugural Issue of Beer Advocate Magazine. I've always liked the site, but...well...this mag looks great. Really nice design, a little modern, just nicely done. Good material, too...a section on homebrewing. A very good departure from All About Beer's "look at the busty ho on the cover, she likes beer too!" kind of flashy visuals. Anyway, if you can get your paws on it...pick one up. Very well done indeed.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
trinitone

Recipes 

You'll be hard pressed to snag a copy unless you were a founding subscriber. Or possibly a vendor to whom the Alstrom bros. sent a comp. But, Evan is right, if you can get a copy, do so.

Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I subbed at the announcement of the publication. So far I'm impressed. Free calendar mkaes it even better, though talk about an advertisement.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd be curious to see a copy for myself before I subscribe. The cover looks interesting, but I've always picked Ratebeer.com over the BA website b/c I think the reviews are just plain better.

But I also must admit that part of it stems from my prejudice towards the Alstrom Brothers. IMO, they seem to have an "our way or the highway" attitude. And they say they aren't in the 'beer biz' for the money, but it sure seems like it to me - especally now with this beer mag.

I know of folks who posted something bad about them on a forum or a blog and *poof* - no more posting rights on BA. Sure, it's their site; I guess they can do what they want. Still, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Heck, I've probably just gotten myself banned right now! But I don't post to their site, so I don't care.

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 01-12-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts

Hehe...i guess you gotta admire their arrogance to a certain extent. I was reading some of the reader Q+A in the issue last night...and some dumb turd asked what percentage of beer drinkers in the US are stout drinkers.

While a simple "there's no way to know that" would have sufficed, the answer started out by listing the many stats that one would have to gather in order to get this answer, most of which were nearly impossible to procure, and ended that whole diatribe with "In other words, what an idiotic question!" F'n A!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply