Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beechwood smoke

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,061
Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Default Beechwood smoke

So, I'm brewing a smoked saison in a few days.. Have any of you brewed one before?

__________________
Stauffbier is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 3,179
Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Not specifically a Saison but I have made a few smoked beers. If you are planning on using beechwood smoked aka Rauchmalt, I would use a few pounds. If you use Breiss smoked (cherry) or home smoked grains use up to a pound and no more IMO or you may have a brew that tastes like chewing on old campfire logs...

__________________
“I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.”
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!
Zamial is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,061
Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
Not specifically a Saison but I have made a few smoked beers. If you are planning on using beechwood smoked aka Rauchmalt, I would use a few pounds. If you use Breiss smoked (cherry) or home smoked grains use up to a pound and no more IMO or you may have a brew that tastes like chewing on old campfire logs...
Thanks for the recommendation, but I only bought a pound of Rauchmalt. I bought it on a spontaneous whim while at my LHBS. I figured I'll try with the one pound, and see what it does. I do indeed want to smoke my own malt, though. I have some apple wood that would work nicely. I'll leave that for a porter later in the season....

EDIT: (side question) Would it be best to just stick to base malts for smoking, or can you smoke crystal malts as well?
__________________
Stauffbier is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 3,179
Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

A pound of Rauch is going to be pretty lightly smoked but in something like a Saison it may be perceived as "smokey funk".

As for smoking your own grains, I do not see why it would matter if it was base or crystal. I would definitely cold smoke it... I know there have been others who have done this with some success. IMO it would be fun to try but not something I would want to get into heavily.

__________________
“I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.”
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!
Zamial is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,061
Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
A pound of Rauch is going to be pretty lightly smoked but in something like a Saison it may be perceived as "smokey funk".

As for smoking your own grains, I do not see why it would matter if it was base or crystal. I would definitely cold smoke it... I know there have been others who have done this with some success. IMO it would be fun to try but not something I would want to get into heavily.
Yeah I figured I would cold smoke. I also make my own liquid smoke on the smoker, and I thougt it might be fun to experiment with it in a brew, as well. It would definitely be an experimental process, because a tiny bit of that stuff goes a long way!
__________________
Stauffbier is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 3,179
Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Yeah I figured I would cold smoke. I also make my own liquid smoke on the smoker, and I thougt it might be fun to experiment with it in a brew, as well. It would definitely be an experimental process, because a tiny bit of that stuff goes a long way!
There is NO room in ANY beer for liquid smoke. Try a tiny drop of it in a beer and you will understand. It just tastes horrid. Trust me I love me smoked flavor in stuff but not liquid smoke in beer.
__________________
“I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.”
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!
Zamial is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
ChrisCorley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 77
Likes Given: 16

Default

i just brewed a smoked porter yesterday using 5 lbs of smoked malt. it was 30% of the grain bill.

__________________
ChrisCorley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where'd all the smoke go? stevea1210 General Beer Discussion 8 04-12-2010 02:37 AM
Smoke stout on the way? buffalobrewer General Beer Discussion 0 12-21-2009 09:29 PM
Do homebrewers smoke? BeerFun General Beer Discussion 148 10-28-2009 03:41 PM
Oak smoke? the_bird General Beer Discussion 3 04-13-2009 05:59 PM
Anyone smoke hops? beesy General Beer Discussion 65 03-14-2009 03:16 AM