New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bayou Classic Brew Kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #21
CJBrewVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am considering purchasing one of these. Any updates?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
jdrollason
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thinking of getting one. What is the final reviews to anyone who has one?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
CJBrewVT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have brewed with ours twice now and couldn't be happier. I got the full works version of the 10 gallon. Our favorite feature is the stamped in gallons/quarts. The valve as is drains to 1 gallon. The mash screen is nice too and used in the boil kettle it keeps leaf hops out and acts as a platform for the chiller. I intend to make it electric so that is great. The thermometer is nice to have as we're waiting for boil.

I am not crazy about the included bulkhead and valve. The valve is too heavy duty and lacks a protective sleeve on the handle.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #24
namyarb3
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I have the 16g one with the valve, false bottom, and therm. Love it...And I, too, am planning to go electric with it!!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
Ayrahvon
Recipes 

I purchased the 8-gallon one of these a few months back and am just getting to use it this weekend. I was putting it together and noticed that the spigot doesn't come with any o-rings. Was this the case for everyone else? If so, did you find that there was any leaking around the spigot? Debating if I should be pro-active and get some silicone o-rings for the spigot.

The spigot seemed fairly stiff to me trying it out, but I've been able to loosen up easily enough.

Also: I was somewhat excited to use both the bazooka filter and the false bottom, but the false bottom's legs make it very difficult to use both, somewhat disappointed with that, but there may be a work around.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #26
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

I also have the 8 gallon kettle and have been brewing with it for about two years. For 5 gallon batches it's a great kettle. I see no reason to change unless I someday decide to move to larger batches.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #27
Ayrahvon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubDog View Post
I also have the 8 gallon kettle and have been brewing with it for about two years. For 5 gallon batches it's a great kettle. I see no reason to change unless I someday decide to move to larger batches.
Did your spigot come with o-rings by any chance? If not, did you purchase some?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #28
CJBrewVT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes mine came with extra o-rings in fact. Check the packaging carefully. Should have a small teflon tape wrap and a couple little wrenches too. Personally I don't care for the bulkhead, locknuts, and o-rings that come with it. All are smaller than typical even though threads are proper.

But I absolutely love the pot and false bottom. The only way to use the screen and false bottom would be to shorten the screen an inch or two. I just ditched it. The valve leaves 1 gallon of dead space (10 gallon pot) without any sort of diptube, and I just leave it. After chilling everything settles to the bottom and we pull fairly clear wort off. Not perfect and it puts a dent in brewhouse efficiency but I'd rather worry about the fact that my beer glass is empty.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #29
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I'm in the market for a new set of pots, good to see the postive reviews on these. Might talk my LHBS into bring one in to take a look at it.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #30
Ayrahvon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBrewVT View Post
Yes mine came with extra o-rings in fact. Check the packaging carefully. Should have a small teflon tape wrap and a couple little wrenches too. Personally I don't care for the bulkhead, locknuts, and o-rings that come with it. All are smaller than typical even though threads are proper.

But I absolutely love the pot and false bottom. The only way to use the screen and false bottom would be to shorten the screen an inch or two. I just ditched it. The valve leaves 1 gallon of dead space (10 gallon pot) without any sort of diptube, and I just leave it. After chilling everything settles to the bottom and we pull fairly clear wort off. Not perfect and it puts a dent in brewhouse efficiency but I'd rather worry about the fact that my beer glass is empty.
Thanks so much for the response. Went through the packaging again and found the o-rings and tape taped onto the inside of a piece of cardboard. Put these on and had no leakage whatsoever! First day of BIAB in this pot went great.

I'll have to take some photos of the setup next time.

Quick Reply