Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Battle over the "strange" name

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #221
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post

I don't know about that. You'd be surprised how close Google will get to your address just knowing your IP.

Go to http://www.maps.google.com

Type 'where am i' in the search bar and press enter.

Almost guaranteed it nails your zipcode.
No, it will nail the zipcode of your Internet provider's access point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #222
Knecht_Rupprecht
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post

However, a trademark case isn't about vendors, its about customers. Vendor confusion is irrelevant.
While trademarks are about consumer confidence, non-consumers aren't irrelevant. Recently the 8th circuit found that non-consumer (specifically vendor) confusion was evidence of likely past and future consumer confusion.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #223
brycelarson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
I don't know about that. You'd be surprised how close Google will get to your address just knowing your IP.
I understand that - I was just giving an example of how regardless of location Google is going to show both companies on the first page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaconga View Post
Actually it is home-brew.com. Funny how easy it was to confuse the two websites. Almost like you might confuse two companies with similar names. Yet somehow I was able to find the proper one. Wonder what the suppliers excuse was. I would be pissed at the supplier if they screwed up like that.
It happens. You know - you get a call: "Hey, this is Strange Brew, I need some grain." Guy on the phone picks the first one on the list and bingo - billed to the wrong account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knecht_Rupprecht View Post
While trademarks are about consumer confidence, non-consumers aren't irrelevant. Recently the 8th circuit found that non-consumer (specifically vendor) confusion was evidence of likely past and future consumer confusion.
Right, the same path to confusion works up and down the chain.

Quick Reply