Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Battle against airlock activity!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Indyking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Battle against airlock activity!

Yes, another thread asking for opinions about lack of airlock activity and yes I have heard from many here that the activity can not always be trusted. But in my case, I'm pretty sure my yeast is dormant or dead, do you doubt? So, to the facts:
- This is a strong amber ale with OG of 1.072, 3 gal glass carboy with a tight cap and airlock, so I doubt it is leaking. I really do!
- I used re-hydrated Safale S-04, which have always been very robust on starting fermentation in the first 6-12 hours after using it 6-7 times before. This yeast is hot, no need for starters whatsoever, trust me.
- It has passed 24 hours and nothing! No activity and worse: no krausen!
- The only potential problem unrelated to yeast quality I can think of is temperature. The room is stable at 63F and there is no way I can keep it higher than that for long periods at this time of the year. 63F, though, is within the range of the yeast (lower is 59 according to manufacturer). I have used the same yeast before at stable room temp of 66F with no problems.

So, I'm thinking my yeast is probably dead and waiting longer won't do any good. If it was just slower than usual activity, at least a little bit of krausen should have formed despite of absent airlock activity.

I will take an OG reading tonight to make sure it's stuck, but almost positive it is just by the looks of the wort... I know it...

Should I re-pitch a second package? Aeration first or no aeration at all? Is the temperature the issue here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

So basically, despite all the threads about airlocks,, the sticky like this, Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs, all the times new brewers have come on saying EXACTLY the same thing, and when we tell them to wait 72 hours, and take a reading, and they do and it is fine, despite the 99.9% rate of that being the EXACT case...The daily discussion about this where the new brewer then comes back and says "heh, heh, yeah I was wrong the beer is fine...." The discussions about how even krausens aren't a good read of what is going on. How not to compare one fermentation with another....The fact that s-04 is some of the the best damn yeast in the world...all these things.

Yet, you somehow are sure that your situation is terminally unique, eh?

And you think we're going to tell you something other than, rdwhahb and wait 72 hours, take a reading and pitch if you are right, but more than likely you are wrong and gonna come back and say 'oops' you guys were right'?"

*shrug*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

cactusgarrett Likes This 
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'd probably dump. I'm about to throw out a word no brewer wants to hear. That word is INFECTION!!!!

I would probably wait a little longer and then take an OG reading.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
That word is INFECTION!!!!
A YEAST infection that is...

(I was just image/googling looking for a funny yeast infection sign....there are none....you DON'T want to google image yeast infections....)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Indyking
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So basically, despite all the threads about airlocks,, the sticky like this, Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs, all the times new brewers have come on saying EXACTLY the same thing, and when we tell them to wait 72 hours, and take a reading, and they do and it is fine, despite the 99.9% rate of that being the EXACT case...The daily discussion about this where the new brewer then comes back and says "heh, heh, yeah I was wrong the beer is fine...." The discussions about how even krausens aren't a good read of what is going on. How not to compare one fermentation with another....The fact that s-04 is some of the the best damn yeast in the world...all these things.

Yet, you somehow are sure that your situation is terminally unique, eh?

And you think we're going to tell you something other than, rdwhahb and wait 72 hours, take a reading and pitch if you are right, but more than likely you are wrong and gonna come back and say 'oops' you guys were right'?"

*shrug*
Well, the problem is... 72 hours is going to be on Friday night and I will be gone until Monday night. If I'm correct, and I think I am, despite of your sarcasm (a good one though, don't take me wrong), Monday night (144 hours or 6 freaking days) will be way too late!

Not even a tiniest sign of a krausen with S-04 after 24 hours in such a strong beer? Get out here… I bet I got a packet of dead yeast. I got this one right revvy, trust me!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I got this one right revvy, trust me!
1) If you got right, then you wouldn't need to ask.

2) There isn't any rush. If you're beer is safe and sound under an airlock, then waiting six days to repitch isn't going to be too late for anything except impatience.

I would give it at least 48, and if you can't wait until Monday, repitching isn't going to hurt anything.

I'm surprised that with a gravity of 1.072 you didn't use a starter.

Keep us posted, i'd like to see the final verdict.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Not even a tiniest sign of a krausen with S-04 after 24 hours in such a strong beer? Get out here… I bet I got a packet of dead yeast. I got this one right revvy, trust me!
I'm betting that revvy's right. Nothing ruins homebrew faster than worrying too much about it.

Check the packet's date. I've never had S-04 be dead unless it was 3+ years old. Then I throw it in the boil for nutrient!
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hmmmm. There have been a few posts lately about long lag times for s-04. Buy another pack and if there's still nothing on Friday morning add it. Worst thing that can happen is an overpitch.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoaction View Post
1) If you got right, then you wouldn't need to ask.
FTW!!!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
ksbrain
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just pitch another packet, what's the worst that could happen as a result?

Quick Reply