Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Basil beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Gtrman13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Basil beer?

I have a nice looking basil plant with plenty of good healthy leaves. They smell absolutely wonderful, but I really don't have much use for basil. I was thinking that maybe a basil beer would be a good way to use a bunch of it. I did a quick search for basil beer and saw that some people have come up with recipes, but not much info on how they tasted or the best way to add it. If anyone can give me some direction or better yet, a recipe, it would be greatly appreciated!

I want to have a nice warm weather beer to close out the summer months, and was thinking this could lend itself well to a pale ale with some lemon or honey. But that was just my thinking, I could go in another direction if it would be better.

Uhhhm...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I don't know about basil, but I've had beers brewed with other herbs in the Lamiaceae family. On Friday, at our local homebrew club meeting (SNAFU), someone brought a beer made with sage. I think he used 1 oz at the beginning of the boil and 1 oz at the end of the boil. I feel a little bit uneasy about consuming large amounts of herbs because of the chemical compounds found in many herbs, so I don't think I would drink more than 1 or 2 in one sitting, but it tasted pretty damn good! The base was just a pale ale, and it seems to go together with that style just fine.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I am thinking about trying one. I have lemon basil tho. I have lemon verbena as well. Maybe a pale ale.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Here's what I found by SEARCHING for Basil

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/honey-basil-ale-255798/?highlight=basil

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gonna-brew-honey-basil-ale-have-question-228791/?highlight=basil

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/those-you-who-asked-about-honey-basil-brew-i-have-recap-252150/?highlight=basil

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/wallonia-basil-lime-saison-201553/?highlight=basil

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/basil-ipa-07er-40456/?highlight=basil

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lemon-basil-basil-wheat-179538/?highlight=basil

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/seeking-feedback-cinnamon-basil-ipa-37391/?highlight=basil

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ive tasted some honey & basil ale before and wasnt crazy about it. i love basil in food, but i think it can be too overpowering in beer, so just be careful. YMMV

Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
McCheese352
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The latest issue of BYO has a clone recipe for Bison Brewings Honey-Basil Ale.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBen View Post
I don't know about basil, but I've had beers brewed with other herbs in the Lamiaceae family. On Friday, at our local homebrew club meeting (SNAFU), someone brought a beer made with sage. I think he used 1 oz at the beginning of the boil and 1 oz at the end of the boil. I feel a little bit uneasy about consuming large amounts of herbs because of the chemical compounds found in many herbs, so I don't think I would drink more than 1 or 2 in one sitting, but it tasted pretty damn good! The base was just a pale ale, and it seems to go together with that style just fine.
What?? I've never heard of any kind of health risk from herbs.

As for what to do with extra basil, I'd do some pesto sauce if you still have a bunch after the beer. Throw it in the food processor with a little olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, pine nuts and maybe a squeeze of lemon.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
mlg5039
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Local brewery here has a Farmhouse Summer Basil on tap that's amazing..

Last weekend I brewed a 1.055 OG rye saison and added a handful of basil from my plant with 5 minutes left in the boil. Smells heavenly right now.

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
What?? I've never heard of any kind of health risk from herbs.
Look up St. John's Wort, Ephedra, and Yohimbe. Or take a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_herbs_with_known_adverse_effects

I'm not saying that basil or sage is going to kill somebody. I'm just saying that I feel a little uneasy consuming large amounts of herbs.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
ive tasted some honey & basil ale before and wasnt crazy about it. i love basil in food, but i think it can be too overpowering in beer, so just be careful. YMMV
Yes sir, a little of this stuff goes a long way. You probably won't need very much at all. With the rest...

I agree with the other poster as well about a pesto.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Quick Reply