The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bartender Rant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 159 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Bartender Rant

So I was dropping off a few beers for a competition at a guys house about 1/2 hour away from my house yesterday and I passed a fairly well known local brew pub/restraunt. I decide to stop in for lunch after I've delivered the beer. I walk in and there is only one other person in there, it's 11:00 am and the lunch crowd hadn't started yet.

I ask the bartender what's on tap and he says' Here's a list," hands me a menu and walks away.

OK, I can understand that, he probably gets asked that 500 times a day. OTOH, he's a bartender in a brew pub and it's not exactly busy.

So after 5 minutes (!) when he comes back I ask him "How's the Pale Ale?"

He say's, "Not bad."

I think to myself "Thanks a lot, I was expecting you to tell me it sucked." So he pours me a PA and again disappears. After 5 minutes he comes back and takes my oder for a burger and without asking pours me another PA. I tell him I didn't want another PA, I had notice that they had a Kolsch chalked on the blackboard that I hadn't noticed earlier and I wanted that.

So he kind of mumbles under his breath and pours me a Kolsch in a pint glass and walks away again. After a while he comes back with my burger and asks how the Kolsch is. I tell him it's fine but ask him why they serve a Kilsch in a pint glass? He asks "What do you mean?"

I explain that Kolsch should be served in a small glass holding about 6 ounces, called a Stang. They had the glasses there, I saw them. And dip**** says that it's too much of a pain in the ass to serve a bunch of small glasses of beer.

By this point I was pretty disgusted with this buttwad so I asked him why he worked in a brewpub since he obviously didn't give a **** about what he was serving. And he say's "Hey, I just pour it."

I finished my burger and for only the second time in my life I left without leaving a tip. I considered talking to the manager on my way out but just didn't want to waste anymore of my time. I'd heard that the restraunt was living on it's past reputation, and that this one in Framingham was no where near as good as the original one in Harvard Square.

Man, that sort of thing really pisses me off. If all you want to do is slop BMC into glasses don't get a job pouring craft beer in a brewpub. I can't stand people who take no pride in their work. How much would I love to be 25 years old and working in a brewpub? And this waste of protoplasm doesn't give a crap.

OK. End of rant. I'm better now after a good nights sleep and spewing the venom out here. Thank you.

PTN

Alcohol!
Because no-one ever started a great story with, "I was just finishing a lovely salad when..."

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've yet to meet a brewpub bartender (in NJ) that cares about the beer. Being anti-social is another issue though. If you're depending on tips you should be friendly and accomodating, period...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse
... And this waste of protoplasm doesn't give a crap...
Waste of protoplasm. lol

Of the brewpubs that I've been to in the Columbus, OH area it seems to be comon practice to serve all beers in the same glass.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It seems most brew pubs employ people with no interest in beer to serve the beer. All the true "beer people" are employed behind the scenes to make the beer.

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

That pretty typical of brewpubs-

I didnt know Kolsch were served in Thimbals ?I get mine from a local place in 25oz mugs

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 02-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
HBDrinker008
Recipes 

Quote:
I considered talking to the manager on my way out but just didn't want to waste anymore of my time
Personally I am usually against talking to management about poor employees. The guy may have been terrible, but I don't like to take it personally and I don't think that it is worth possibly getting the guy fired over something so trivial. I usually just decide not to come back. Thats not a shot at you, I am just saying

Old 02-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Greggy
Recipes 

Thats a shame.. I too am big on pride when doing your work. It's a shame that he is giving the pub a bad name.

Greg

Bottled: Petite Saison, Rye IPA

Old 02-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really think its too much to expect a low paid service employee like a bartender to actually care about the beer he is pouring. In an ideal world, yes, he would take an interest. But the fact is most bartenders are simply working a job and their real interests are elsewhere.

I think the real fault is on the management and the brewers. They need to do a better job of training the servers so they can talk knowledgeably about the product, even if they don't have a personal interest in it. They are also the ones who should set and enforce standards about which glasses are used to serve which brews.

Still, he does sound like an antisocial jerk and I wouldn't have left a tip either.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 02-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
I really think its too much to expect a low paid service employee like a bartender to actually care about the beer he is pouring. In an ideal world, yes, he would take an interest. But the fact is most bartenders are simply working a job and their real interests are elsewhere.

I think the real fault is on the management and the brewers. They need to do a better job of training the servers so they can talk knowledgeably about the product, even if they don't have a personal interest in it. They are also the ones who should set and enforce standards about which glasses are used to serve which brews.

Still, he does sound like an antisocial jerk and I wouldn't have left a tip either.
I agree. If the workers don't know that's one thing...if management doesn't that's another, but it's also reflected in the service and morale of the employees.

One of my peeves is bartenders who put fruit in my beer!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

As a former manager I can tell you that a lot of $hit happens that managers don't have a clue about. Perhaps calling out the manager to rat on the bartender in the middle of the bar isn't a good idea. But a phone call during the day (when a bar manager has time to talk) to recount your experience might be appreciated. It's hard to effect good change when you don't know where change is needed.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Quick Reply