Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > baking bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
basementbrewer7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default baking bottles

Has anyone ever tried to do this and know if it is a good idea or not. Thanks for the help. Baking Beer Bottles - Jasper's Home Brew & Winemaking

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I've not done. You would have to heat and cool them slow or they may shatter. I think there are better ways for bottles. They don't have to be sterile. I know some brewers do do it that way.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Last edited by Malticulous; 04-12-2009 at 04:34 AM.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So much work. Unnecessary work. Much easier to sanitize bottles with starsan. Besides if there is any debris on the bottles it would get baked on rather than rinsed off.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've not done it since there are easier ways to sanitize bottles but if you scroll down to the bottom of this page you will find a couple of thread on the subject.

Welcome to HBT!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's really not that much work, and you are _sterilizing_ the bottles instead of sanitizing them. Yes, it's not a substitute for cleaning and it will bake on whatever is in them... but a rinse with star-san isn't going to remove that either, and it's definitely not going to sanitize the gunk. The bottles need to be clean regardless of what you do to sanitize/sterilize.

It's actually really easy, and personally I think it is the quickest way to do things as far as actual work is concerned. If you stack them carefully, you can get all of the bottles for a batch of beer in the oven at once. I rinse them all, and stack them in a COLD oven. Turn it on to 300 degrees, run it for one hour, and shut it off. I do this the night before bottling and just leave the whole thing closed. Nothing is going to get in or out and all I have to do on bottling day is open the oven and start filling.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I can fit four cases in my dishwasher. It still takes hours but not over night. The bottles come out shinny clean and best of all they fill without any foam.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've not tried the stove, but I've tried the dishwasher thing. Once. In the time it took just to carry the bottles up to the dishwasher and load it, I could've had them all sanitized right there in the basement and been ready to start filling instead of waiting for the dishwasher to run and cart them back downstairs.

Sanitizing with Star-San (iodophor should work the same) even with just the bottling bucket+wand to work with takes < 5 minutes for 50 bottles.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply