Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Baker's Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Pelikan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Baker's Yeast?

I, personally, would never brew with bakers yeast, but am curious if anyone has ever brewed it before, for experimental purposes. I know the standard answer is "It's not sterile, it wasn't bred for clean flavors, etc etc etc," but just for curiosity's sake...

I did a search and found only one thread from a few years back, where a guy ruined his starter and pitched bakers yeast...but then he never reported back on how it turned out.

So, any experimenters out there?

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It works but unless you have an overwhelming nostaglic curiosity I can think of no reason why bread yeast should be used. My father made homebrew with bread yeast because there was no brewer's yeast available to consumers at that time. Bread yeast typically leaves a pretty yeast brew and doesn't flocculate as well as brewer's yeast. Brewer's yeast is designed for the job, does it better and doesn't cost a lot. I will continue to use it. You can also wash your clothes with a tub and washboard if you are tired of watching them go around in the Maytag.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I've seen it used in several "ancient orange mead" recipes. Not for beer though. It would work, but I dont think it is very tolerant of alcohol. You would probalby get terrible attenuation.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You probably couldn't find much because it not that good of experiment. Can you do it, yes. You could also ferment wort by tossing in a few slices of bread or leaving the fermenter opened and letting nature take it's course.

The question is why would you? It's all about using the right tool for the job. I can drive a nail with a rock but I own a hammer so why would I use a rock?

Old 11-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

The biggest reason, as I understand it, not to use bread yeast is that it's not nearly as pure as beer yeast. A batch of bread is usually baked the same day the yeast is "pitched," so you don't care as much about nasties in bread yeast.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A cool experiment could be to take several different brands and/or types of bread yeasts, liquid or dry and make some starters with them then take the highest attenuating and cleanest tasting one and isolate a pure culture from that and build up enough pure culture to ferment 5 gallons.

In Papazains, 'Microbrewed Adventures' he visits a brewery on Gotland Island, Sweden that makes an Ale, Gotlandsdricke with bread yeast.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Last edited by TeleTwanger; 11-08-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #7
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
A cool experiment could be to take several different brands and/or types of bread yeasts, liquid or dry and make some starters with them then take the highest attenuating and cleanest tasting one and isolate a pure culture from that and build up enough pure culture to ferment 5 gallons.

In Papazains, 'Microbrewed Adventures' he visits a brewery on Gotland Island, Sweden that makes an Ale, Gotlandsdricke with bread yeast.
This is exactly what had piqued my curiosity: an effort to isolate a new strain. Granted, I have about zero knowledge and experience when it comes to microbial breeding (assuming breeding is the preferred nominclature).

Again, I would never do this myself, at least not with my current facilities, but with a community this large I figured someone must have tried it at this point.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 11-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Basic Brewingâ„¢ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - September 28, 2007 - Trading Places: Beer and Bread Yeast

Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never tried it,and with my budget never will because I can't afford throwing a batch away,but... my uncle Mickey used to brew something he called beer that was kickass strong using bread yeast. I never tried this stuff ( I was too young) but most adults couldn't drink more than 2 or 3 and stay vertical, so apparently it had lots of alcohol in it. It was made of potatoes, raisins, sugar, bread yeast and water. Looked like Sam Adams. Funny,thinking about it now I remember lots of bottle bombs....he kept them outside in the well house and even during those Maine winters he'd sometimes lose half of them. His fermenter was a 5 gallon ceramic container which he kept in the kitchen,quite near the stove. I think I'm glad I was too young to try it!

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 11-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
This is exactly what had piqued my curiosity: an effort to isolate a new strain. Granted, I have about zero knowledge and experience when it comes to microbial breeding (assuming breeding is the preferred nominclature).
Yeah not much 'breeding' going more like budding...It's really not that hard to culture pure strains of anything. You could take a Microbiology class at your local community college where you'll be culturing E. coli and friends.
Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Quick Reply