Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bad Zymurgy, bad!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
EricCSU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_rath View Post
I have done this before with a stout and it tasted pretty good. you just have to keep an eye on the temperature so you know when most of the alcohol is gone. 170 I think is the BP.
Yes I am kegging, mostly because I can. If you want to bottle just cool and repitch some yeast.
There are a few threads on here about non-alcohol beer if you search.
I will let you know how the toasting comes out too.
Have you had good results with this technique? I think that it would be very difficult to effectively boil off a significant portion of the alcohol, let alone the majority of it.

From Ken Schwartz's website

4) ...brew a normal-strength beer, then heat to evaporate the alcohol. Jack Schmidling wrote an article on this a while back (available on-line at The Brewery) and the method has been repeated in several other media. The idea is that since alcohol boils at about 175F (80C), and water boils at 212F (100C), the alcohol can be selectively removed while leaving the "rest" of the beer behind. The resulting product can be kegged or primed and bottled (add fresh yeast since you just killed the original colony!).

In HBD #1609, Maribeth Raines reports on her UV spectrophotometric assay analysis of alcohol content after applying this method to homebrew. The results she obtained indicated that in no case (including a half-hour of vigorous boiling!) did the alcohol reduce below 2% abv, calling into question the usefulness of this technique (though under controlled "lab" conditions she did have a brief success in achieving 0.5% abv -- please visit the HBD archive to see her full report). In addition, my own experience, as well as that of others having reported in the HBD in the past, is that other deleterious effects such as off-flavors, oxidation, and reduction of hop character can and do occur. If I'm only going to reduce to 2% abv, I'll stick with my low-gravity/160F mash schedule.

Why doesn't this method work well? Remember that water boils at 212F (at sea level), yet a pot of water at 212F will not just suddenly disappear -- it takes time. Same with alcohol -- it will take a long time to remove the majority of the alcohol. At the same time, evaporation of water will accelerate at 175F, so you lose water along with the alcohol. Over the period of time it takes to reduce the alcohol to very low levels, a lot of water will be lost as well. Certainly that can be made up with fresh water, but the point is that 15 minutes probably won't do it; according to Raines, it probably can't be done in the kitchen at all.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Catch-22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Ah, the impresionable brewer, easily swayed by the media.....

I don't know anything about that....er......except for me brewing my cream ale recipe with half a pound of tortilla chips in it because I was short a half pound of flaked maize, and I was listenning to the "Iron Brewer" episode of basic brewing, and thought "what the heck."

I tasted it at bottling a week ago and it tasted fine. Can't wait to see when it's carbed and conditioned.
Nacho Cheese lip smacking good!

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
jwright
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry for the OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Ah, the impresionable brewer, easily swayed by the media.....

I don't know anything about that....er......except for me brewing my cream ale recipe with half a pound of tortilla chips in it because I was short a half pound of flaked maize, and I was listenning to the "Iron Brewer" episode of basic brewing, and thought "what the heck."
Dry hop with habanero peppers ?

jason

Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwright View Post
Sorry for the OT

Dry hop with habanero peppers ?

jason
There is a good basic brewing video about pepper beers.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Quick Reply