Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > is it bad to keep tapping and untapping a beer keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
blackls1ttop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default is it bad to keep tapping and untapping a beer keg

just got a new kegorater, well we have a family friend who comes and visits our house often, well lets just say if i keep this beer keg tapped the keg wont last long enough with him around . so i decided to untap the beer and close the co2 little shut off valve, so when we decide to drink i just tapp it and turn the c02 on, is it bad if i continue to do this? i can see the coupler wearing out real quickly but is there any other damage that will happen by doing this? thanks guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The beer will be fine... if it was me though I would just get a tap lock or tell the guy to leave it alone.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

They make locks that keep taps from being opened, but the cheapest I've ever seen one was around $45 a piece, which makes your solution far more economical, assuming of course that your friend doesn't learn how to hook up the CO2

Either that, you could just put out a tip jar by the kegerator and politely point out that the ingredients and equipment to make beer aren't free. I'm actually considering doing this with my new kegerator(friends love my beer), and using the tip jar as my new equipment fund, with the end goal being me getting enough money from tips so I can buy a bigger equipment and step up my batch sizes. I've also had 1 friend buy me a new 6.5 gallon carboy so I have an extra primary fermenter just so that I can keep the pipe line fuller, he loves the beer and was more than happy to shell out a little money to help with production.

Just some suggestions.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
blackls1ttop
Recipes 

its funny you say that, i have already put a tip jar and and out of order sign lol. if it was somebody who appreciates beer i wouldent mind, but this guy just pounds natural ice all day, he doesent care what he drinks. maybe a tap lock is what im thinking of right now.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
dummkauf
Recipes 

Or you could just tell him not to drink from the kegerator and tell him to bring his own beer if he's looking to get hammered. If he won't respect the rules of your house you might want to start questioning just how good of a friend this person is. I may be way off base here because I don't actually know them, but that's the impression I'm getting from what you have said thus far, no offense intended.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf View Post
Or you could just tell him not to drink from the kegerator and tell him to bring his own beer if he's looking to get hammered. If he won't respect the rules of your house you might want to start questioning just how good of a friend this person is. I may be way off base here because I don't actually know them, but that's the impression I'm getting from what you have said thus far, no offense intended.
That is pretty much where I was coming from.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
blackls1ttop
Recipes 

yea i understand, well thanks for the help guys. i really love this forum, im so happy i got a kegorater, soon i will start brewing up my own batches.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
dummkauf
Recipes 

Either that, I wonder if it would be possible to wire up one of those electic fence boxes to the tap. Just get a steel tap handle and tell him to help himself

Old 10-31-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
blackls1ttop
Recipes 

hahah ^^^ that would be badass to watch

Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
ale_mongrel
Recipes 

put up a little blackboard over the taps one that says "One side has the greatest beer Ive ever brewed, the other a beer looking solution that contains quite a leathal amount of cyanaide..........choose wisley......" That would definatley keep me away.

Quick Reply