Bad experience with Williams Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered 10 rhyzomes from them...8 are growing now... (fuggles are not up).. they met my expectations.. I would use them again.

I've only planted a week or so ago.. didn't mean that they weren't viable, just not up...sorry to confuse..

Ever hear 'Live and Learn'?

Because this is a good reason not to order 30 packs of yeast in one order.

This is why I don't have 900 pounds of base grain waiting to be brewed.

You are not a victim; more of a fool.

More foolish yet to want to blame someone else.

"To err is to be human, to forgive is to be divine."

I know this thread is about over done, but I did not see much support for the OP. Firstly, I have to agree with the sentiment from the majority. The retailer made good by offering a refund.

However, I would be extremely dissapointed if I received packets of yeast so close to expiring. It may be expected from a wine-making shop that carries a few beer ingredients as an afterthought, but any reputable brew shop should not be flogging 2 year old yeast that has not been clearly identified as such and clearance priced.

I know this thread is about over done, but I did not see much support for the OP. Firstly, I have to agree with the sentiment from the majority. The retailer made good by offering a refund.

However, I would be extremely dissapointed if I received packets of yeast so close to expiring. It may be expected from a wine-making shop that carries a few beer ingredients as an afterthought, but any reputable brew shop should not be flogging 2 year old yeast that has not been clearly identified as such and clearance priced.

Williams Brewing is a reputable vendor. I am very happy with my experience with them. They did not sell expired yeast, they sold yeast that was ready to be used. And... they offered a full refund on yeast that was still valid and not expired.

What is the point in buying 30 packs of yeast at once? Unless you are brewing 30 batches in 30 days, it makes sense to buy it closer to when you need it, yes?

I think the OP's gripe is not really valid and the vendor shouldn't be trashed.

Situation not to your satisfaction and the retailer offered to fix it withing the realm of their return policy.

You wanted a special deal where you could have your cake and eat it too.

Yeah, it's basically a great example of Entitlement Mentality. The complaint would be if they told somebody to take a hike. They offered a full refund. customer wanted more... and the why's of all that are again, you can say it... Entitlement Mentality.

i ordered liquid wyeast (from a different vendor) and it was stuck in shipping for a long while... when i got it frozen solid. I just let it thaw, made a starter and voila, hungreh yeast! I think yeast is a lot tougher than we think and it will work out ifstarted properly, even many months after expiration...

now if it was milk you ordered.........

Ever hear 'Live and Learn'?

Because this is a good reason not to order 30 packs of yeast in one order.

This is why I don't have 900 pounds of base grain waiting to be brewed.

You are not a victim; more of a fool.

More foolish yet to want to blame someone else.

Seriously? Shipping is just stupid from almost every online place and ordering just a few packs is pointless. If something has an expected shelf life of two years I shouldn't be a fool for expecting the expiration date to be more than a year out, which is exaclty how all but two strains of yeast were dated.

I know this thread is about over done, but I did not see much support for the OP.

so you agree? :confused:

What is the point in buying 30 packs of yeast at once? Unless you are brewing 30 batches in 30 days, it makes sense to buy it closer to when you need it, yes?

What is the point to buying 3-4 sacks of grain in a bulk order? Because you go through it in less time than it even remotely goes bad. I'll use that in the next 6 months, along with the yeast, and both are well within the expected shelf life of what was purchased by a factor of 4.

Yeah, it's basically a great example of Entitlement Mentality. The complaint would be if they told somebody to take a hike. They offered a full refund. customer wanted more... and the why's of all that are again, you can say it... Entitlement Mentality.

Please. They never should have sold the yeast to begin with...but given they did I offered what I thought made me whole and made more sense than giving UPS more money to move things back and forth between my house and WB.

It isn't that they didn't agree that my sugestion was fair, it was that they sent me old yeast to begin with.

But you would have read that by now if you followed the entire thread....

Tell you what, that Williams Brewing really steams me too--I live right here in San Leandro and expected they would be my LHBS, but they only do business by shipping. Man that's infurriating!! But then I see the dancing banana and I just go whepa!! whepa!! :ban:

Back on topic, I guess the 30 packs of yeast were bought because of their recent sale. MoreBeer recently had a yeast sale too, and some of the liquid yeast I got was dated just under 2 months from expiration. Guess that's at least partly why these places have yeast sales in the first place! To the OP, I agree with one thing: it's frustrating when the world doesn't live up to your expectations. For maximum happiness, lower expectations accordingly.

Its just straight up FIFO inventory management...First In, First Out. Meaning: use (sell) the oldest product first.

You really expect them to try to calculate how frequently you brew and pick yeast based on that?

+1 for what everyone else said...

It may be good inventory practice but their purchasing/ordering practice obviously is not up to par. It is also only good inventory practice if they are properly rotating their stock. I don't think WB should have to calculate how frequently a customer brews, but they certainly should calculate how much they would sell for a given period of time and order accordingly to ensure a fresh quality product. I see no reason to have year old plus yeast on the shelf. I am sure they can order from their vendors monthly, quarterly or however often they need to so they can maintain a supply of fresh yeast. Sounds like they either are not rotating or else way over ordered. I'll bet WB would not be happy if they just received their large order and it was soon to expire.

Back on topic, I guess the 30 packs of yeast were bought because of their recent sale. MoreBeer recently had a yeast sale too, and some of the liquid yeast I got was dated just under 2 months from expiration. Guess that's at least partly why these places have yeast sales in the first place!
Nope - nothing other than the usual deal they have on yeast.
To the OP, I agree with one thing: it's frustrating when the world doesn't live up to your expectations. For maximum happiness, lower expectations accordingly.
This is true. :mug:

You have no idea what bad customer service is until you get three bad orders from Morebeer in a row due to drunken packing. Actually come to think of it, call St. Pat's of Texas and ask for a shipping quote. She'll rip your balls off and feed them to you all over the phone.

You have no idea what bad customer service is until you get three bad orders from Morebeer in a row due to drunken packing.QUOTE]
Got my bucket fermenter from them w/ a curly black hair in it.Please GOD let it have been off someones head!Pube Pale Ale?:confused:

but they certainly should calculate how much they would sell for a given period of time and order accordingly to ensure a fresh quality product.

The yeast still has months left before it expires. Do you expect your local grocery store to pull milk 3 days before it expires? They would never do that.

The yeast still has months left before it expires. Do you expect your local grocery store to pull milk 3 days before it expires? They would never do that.

I absolutely would. There is also no reason for a store to be selling milk that expires in 3 days. The milk man comes every day and milk has a minimum of 14 days shelf life. You should only be stocking enough milk to sell in a couple of days and be getting in new fresh milk on a regular basis. I seriously doubt that you can go into any decent grocery store and find milk that expires in 3 days.

I absolutely would. There is also no reason for a store to be selling milk that expires in 3 days. The milk man comes every day and milk has a minimum of 14 days shelf life. You should only be stocking enough milk to sell in a couple of days and be getting in new fresh milk on a regular basis. I seriously doubt that you can go into any decent grocery store and find milk that expires in 3 days.

And meat which seems to be good for about 4 days gets a big red discount sticker on day 3 so the buyer knows they should use it ASAP. Plus they get a discount.

Neither of those applied to the yeast purchase.

Dude, I think you just need to let this one go.

They didn't meet your expectations, so use a different supplier next time if you're not happy with them.

You're not totally screwed, just disappointed. The yeast is just fine, but return it if you want it.

I seriously doubt you've changed anyone's mind about WB. In fact, it sounds like they have good customer service to most people here.

Maybe some people will actually look at the dates on their yeast now. I'll probably still forget. Not sure that I've ever checked, in fact.

Chill,

Yeast doesn't suddenly stop working on the day of the use by date.
When using dry yeast you normally are massively over pitching.

What $$ are we talking about per pack any way?

Please. They never should have sold the yeast to begin with...but given they did I offered what I thought made me whole

Yes, exactly, you felt you were entitled to more than a refund and when you didn't get it you came on here and whined hoping you could hurt them for not caving in and "making you whole."

Dude, I think you just need to let this one go.

They didn't meet your expectations, so use a different supplier next time if you're not happy with them.

You're not totally screwed, just disappointed. The yeast is just fine, but return it if you want it.

I seriously doubt you've changed anyone's mind about WB. In fact, it sounds like they have good customer service to most people here.

Maybe some people will actually look at the dates on their yeast now. I'll probably still forget. Not sure that I've ever checked, in fact.

Dude - just responding to the nonsense posts, bro.

Yes, exactly, you felt entitled to more than a refund.

Yes, exactly, you felt you were entitled to more than a refund and when you didn't get it you came on here and whined hoping you could hurt them for not caving in and "making you whole."

Entitled? No. I asked for something that made more sense given the situation (imo) and they disagreed. I think it is bad practice for them to send out yeast this old which is my real objection. So throw out the dirty word "entitled" all you want, it isn't even close to be accurate.

Entitled? No. I asked for something that made more sense given the situation (imo) and they disagreed.

And then you complained.

That means you felt you were owed more than what you originally agreed to. Hence, you felt you were indeed entitled to something more. Otherwise you wouldn't have complained.

It's a textbook case.

OK, let's not beat up the new kid. We want him to still feel welcome around here. Let's go find some good threads about brewing beer now! I think we're all entitled to that.

I've actually gotten milk at a store that was three days from expiration, with a "price reduced" sticker on it. Interestingly enough it was fine until a week after the date, at which point most of it was already gone.

Regardless of their customer service (which seems just fine), I think anyone who has been brewing for a while knows that dry yeast, kept in a fridge, will last a long time past the exp date. I'm willing to assume that WB knows that too. Now, if you use said expired yeast and it never ferments, then you have a valid beef. And if that happens, then I'll eat my damn hat, too.

And then you complained.

That means you felt you were owed more than what you originally agreed to. Hence, you felt you were indeed entitled to something more. Otherwise you wouldn't have complained.

It's a textbook case.

That's one way of looking at it.

The other is that it is a PITA for me to have to ship something back if I get 2 years old yeast that I might not use for 6 months, and while I absolutely agree that all that WB is required to do per their policy is to offer a refund, I know that I am not going to bother ordering from them again. I felt like they were entitled to have a chance at keeping a customer, hence the email, and they declined.

OK, let's not beat up the new kid. We want him to still feel welcome around here. Let's go find some good threads about brewing beer now! I think we're all entitled to that.

lol - good debates can be fun. Maybe I am that wrong - there have certainly been some good points made that I think make for some good advice either way.

I'm ready to get on to the beer threads as well. :)

I would say that I am a bit surprised at the strong reaction to my OP. Oh well - it has been a good way to get involved in a new forum - I posted frequently on the brewboard but have been sitting on the sidelines here up till now.

:mug:

Hey we are all here for the same reason, our love of creating and enjoying beer! Cheers Mate!:mug:

I've actually gotten milk at a store that was three days from expiration, with a "price reduced" sticker on it. Interestingly enough it was fine until a week after the date, at which point most of it was already gone.

The date on the carton is a "sell by" date and not a "use by". I've used milk that was easily 10 days passed the sell by date and it wasn't the least bit soured. It's a hard no-sell date for the store so some may discount it to encourage people to not dig in the back for the newer cartons.

Just one final comment on the OP. I'd call the situation a disappointment from a customer who expects a vendor to always go above and beyond reasonable. The tone is that of utter disgust but 90% of the people who chimed in don't think it was warranted. Most of us would be slightly disappointed with the older yeast and move on without posting about it. It's OK... you have the right to voice your opinion and we have the right to disagree. These supply shops are not pulling in millions of dollars in profit and they're doing the best they can in a highly competitive market. I think it's all too easy to equate the seller of goods as some faceless Goliath like Walmart when it could be a small as a family business trying to make ends meet just like you.

I posted once about a vendor going above and beyond. I had ordered a bunch of stuff including 4 packs of Windsor yeast. The order showed up without the yeast, the amount charged was reduced and I later received 4 packs of Windsor that was expired by 3 months with a note that says, no charge, keep them or throw them away. That's not a move I would expect from anyone and it warranted praise.

If the yeast had been expired at shipping or on receipt, I would work out a partial refund credit. But, the yeast is not expired and will have viability well beyond the actual expiration date which you are well aware of.

Sounds to me like you are trolling to get something for nothing. WB has no reason to pull yeast that is withing the expiry date and incur a loss for that. Furthermore, at no fault of their own in an attempt to keep your business they offered a resolution of a full refund for returned product.

Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back