Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > bad customer service

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torg View Post

I bought my grain crusher from another LHBS they were very knowledgeable about its use and actually told me I did not need to use rice hulls if I set the crush right. About 50 batches later, I know what they told me was true.
Rice hulls are mainly used when we add something "sticky" to the mash like oatmeal or toasted pumpkin. Crush is not normally what causes a stuck sparge or a reason to add or not to add rice hulls, that I know of.

So, if you are mashing crushed barley only, you should never need rice hulls (They do not hurt to add them in anyway) but bet your last dollar I will be adding some into my pumpkin ale's mash...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #12
Stoutman82
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm lucky to have homebrewit.com have their shop less then 5 min from my house. As a new brewer I have lots of questions and they help out a lot. They are very nice and knowledgeable.
Homebrewit.com elkhart indiana

Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #13
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

My LHBS was very helpful when I was a virgin brewer, but they moved across town and sold to another owner. This guy was jerk-central and had not the first clue regarding good customer service. I never patronized his store again and now he has closed down. I currently use online suppliers exclusively.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
Rice hulls are mainly used when we add something "sticky" to the mash like oatmeal or toasted pumpkin. Crush is not normally what causes a stuck sparge or a reason to add or not to add rice hulls, that I know of.

So, if you are mashing crushed barley only, you should never need rice hulls (They do not hurt to add them in anyway) but bet your last dollar I will be adding some into my pumpkin ale's mash...
Rice hulls are about 50 cents for insurance against a stuck sparge. I always add them. I might not need them, but I HATE stuck sparges.

My LHBS is great, but I mostly order online. I get a better selection, I save a few bucks, and it comes right to my door.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujeto View Post
Wall of text FTW!

I'm sure the majority of us have had bad customer service at one point. And there is one guy at my LHBS that i avoid because he is lazy and acts superior.

If you feel the staff at your LHBS is incompetent, ask your questions here and order online! My LHBS still preaches secondaries after 5-7 days in the primary. I ignore the majority of what they tell me. I also order the ocassional supplies online when I'm spending over $100. Free shipping and it saves me a 45 minute trip to the LHBS.

I hope this helps and remember RDWHAHB!
45 minute trip? I don't know about you, but my time and gas are worth more than a $7.99 shipping charge, so even if you don't get free shipping it's probably worth it to order online rather than go see these dimwits that you don't listen to.

I don't like the LHBS by me. I order online for almost everything. If I have an emergency brewing need then I go there, and even then I don't really chat with them anymore. I just get what I want and leave. After brewing for 2 years and reading this site I find their advice was horrible.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

My LHBS sucks. It's all the way across town, they rarely have what I need in stock, and the main guy there is not very friendly. I've pretty much gotten into the habit of ordering everything I need online. Now I just pay the $7.99 shipping charge, enjoy the fact that I don't need to drive all the way across town for a bad experience, and RDWHAHB.

Whenever I hear the "support your LHBS" propaganda I cringe and think to myself their LHBS must be a lot better than mine.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
marcycaulkins
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Just keep in mind that whether its your LHBS or HBT you'll have to sift through BS and come to your own conclusions.
Agreed!!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
sjbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Morebeer is my LHBS, but I still order online. I barely have time to brew, much less drive there. Sometimes I still order online from them, sometimes from other vendors. It just depends. I recently ordered from Austin Homebrew because I like how they combine the grain bill so I don't have to buy additional grain that I may never use. So far, it's the only HBS that I have seen that provides that service.

Primary: Belgian Dark Strong
Secondary: EMPTY
Bottled: Belgian Saison Noel, Chocolate Porter, Raspberry Wheat

Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbeerman View Post
Morebeer is my LHBS, but I still order online. I barely have time to brew, much less drive there. Sometimes I still order online from them, sometimes from other vendors. It just depends. I recently ordered from Austin Homebrew because I like how they combine the grain bill so I don't have to buy additional grain that I may never use. So far, it's the only HBS that I have seen that provides that service.
You obviously haven't heard of www.brewmasterswarehouse.com.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #20
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Rice hulls are about 50 cents for insurance against a stuck sparge. I always add them. I might not need them, but I HATE stuck sparges.
lol I learned again...darn you HBT!!!!!

Quick Reply