Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is it bad to copy homebrew recipes for commercial use?
View Poll Results: Is copying homebrew recipes for commercial use, w/o approval fair?
Yes, it is fair. 51 37.78%
In the middle. 37 27.41%
No, it is unfair. 43 31.85%
No opinion. 4 2.96%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Is it bad to copy homebrew recipes for commercial use?

Is it bad to copy homebrew recipes for commercial use? Without permission. Say a commercial brewer comes on this website and copies the recipe for their commercial brewery. Does not give any credit whatsoever.

Set aside having one minuscule part of the recipe being different.
Assume that somehow you know the copied recipe came from this website and the beer taste exactly the same and/or the commercial brewery even posted the recipe on their website.

I wanted to see a poll from this already posted thread, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what...id-you-191954/

Is it wrong to copy homebrew recipes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It sounds underhanded. But it's not like they can't come up with the same recipe on their own. I guess by just taking one off of here they don't have to do the research. I would say they should give credit. Energy and time spent working on something has value. I say give credit where it's due, otherwise it's a cheat. I hate cheaters!

Old 08-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would tend to believe that any commercial brewer would spend way more time and energy on recipe formulation for a consistant product than any of us HB'ers. Besides most pale ales and IPA's are so close in grain bill that it would be hard to really prove anyone stole a recipe.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 344 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I think that if I was the brewer who came up with the recipe, I'd be upset out of principal. I can't say that I'd be all that flattered because flattery doesn't pay the bills. Flattery is when you come up with a recipe that another homebrewer wins a gold medal with.

It also depends on the circumstance. You said that there is no credit, and in the other thread, there was even dialogue between the two brewers. In these circumstances it's complete BS. Some commercial breweries give out their recipes, and if some commercial brewery that I liked wanted to use my recipe I would have no problem so long as they asked me first. It's not like online recipes are anonymous anymore. There's always an administrator to ask or the original poster.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm in the middle. The recipe is public domain and it isn't like any effort was made to protect it. Besides there is so much more to a beer than just the recipe... I'm betting they put some time into formulating a clone that works for their brewing system. On the other hand it is very underhanded/dishonest as I would expect at least a pat on the shoulder and public recognition.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Legally wrong? No.
Ethically wrong? Perhaps.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it may be a bit slimy if used EXACTLY, but not if it's used as a starting point to develop from (i.e. if a recipe is used with a house yeast, for example, then it's not the same beer anymore). After all, commercial brewers are often pretty generous with THEIR recipes and to the home brew community in general.

Personally, I'd be flattered if a probrewer used my recipe for one of their beer, with or without credit. With credit - even if it's only on a website (and not the bottle) would certainly be nice, though.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
Nikkimaija
Recipes 

It seems to me that good ideas are likely to be discovered by more than one person, without any copying going on necessarily. (Ie, the wheel, electricity, evolution, America.) With a beer recipe, there's just only so much variation possible, so it could appear to be copied when it was developed independently, unless you have some other evidence to believe that it wasn't. And even in art, derivative works aren't considered copying - it's not illegal to use someone else's original as a component or inspiration to your own work.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wait a minute. The OP says that you somehow knew they took your recipe, brewed it, sold it, and gave no credit. To me that also means that the brewery knew it was yours, but they did it anyway. Now, I know it is not illegal, but definately dirty. So, under the OP, how can that be fair. I love the picture of that kid. That's me, "Unfair!"

Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Unfair. Sure, there is a lot of overlap as far as recipes go but if a corporate entity came on here, grabbed a recipe and brewed it without giving any credit then that's underhanded as hell, and I doubt the publicity from that debacle would benefit them any if at all.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Quick Reply