Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bad brewer, bad!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AFAJ Brew Guy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fernley, NV
Posts: 764
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bad brewer, bad!

I have been a bad brewer lately. I have 5 gallons of Apfelwein that I has been sitting on the yeast for just about 4 months now, I am sure it is ruined. I have 5 gallons of ESB that I need to bottle, it has been in the carboy for 4 weeks now. I want to brew again, not sure when that is going to happen. I hate it when life gets in the way of brewing. Ugh...

__________________

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

AFAJ Brew Guy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,469
Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

At four months, you've got about an 80% of it being incredibly awesome, and maybe 20% of it tasting like Vegemite.

At four weeks, the ESB is also fine.

__________________
The Fiesty(sic) Goat Brewery est. 2007 & Clusterfuggle Experimental Ales est. 2009
Primary: Brett Saison, Brett Berliner Weisse, sLambic I, sLambic II, Pils, Dunkel, Oud Bruin
Secondary: Flanders Red I, Cab Merlot
Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead
ArcaneXor is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
Austin_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 811
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Just a few days ago I got around to racking some cranberry wine that had been sitting in the primary since 10.26.08. Tasted excellent.

__________________
Austin_ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
celestialparsnip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 187
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
and maybe 20% of it tasting like Vegemite.
Vegemite's the best! So you've got an 80 percent chance of it being plain old ordinary apfelwein, and 20 percent chance that it'll be the best thing you've ever tasted
__________________
celestialparsnip is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AFAJ Brew Guy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fernley, NV
Posts: 764
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialparsnip View Post
Vegemite's the best!
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

As for it being ok, I may be, we will see, it will at least be next week before I can get to it.

I know the ESB will be ok, I just want to drink it and I dont really have a straw that will reach the bottom of the carboy.
__________________

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

AFAJ Brew Guy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Default

My apfelwein was AT LEAST 4 months, if not six in the carboy...I waited til it cleared totally, not like SOME OF Y'ALL who rush it....it turned out great...especially after the remainder of the year in the bottle...I mean people wouldn't touch it until it was that old, then they loved it...

so don't worry about it....

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #7
beerjunky828
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 468
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Yeah agreed. The apfelwein should be sooooooooooooooooooooo good after that long.

__________________
beerjunky828 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
Yankeehillbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Yankee Hill, CA
Posts: 1,542
Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFAJ Brew Guy View Post
I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

As for it being ok, I may be, we will see, it will at least be next week before I can get to it.

I know the ESB will be ok, I just want to drink it and I dont really have a straw that will reach the bottom of the carboy.
Sounds like you should be bottling and not on HBT, just a thought
__________________
Yankeehillbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 AM   #9
eschatz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eschatz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 3,466
Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

Default

When Apfelwein sits for that long it gets like apple champagne. It's awesome!

__________________
play the bass, brew the beer

What's tappening? :D
eschatz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 03:28 AM   #10
Rick500
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KY
Posts: 2,617
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I've got an Irish red that's been on the yeast cake since October. I popped off the airlock and took a whiff and it smells fine. Keep your fingers crossed!

__________________
Rick500 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Brewer+Nut Brown Ale Extract Kit+Northern Brewer Brewfyre Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 02-24-2010 03:12 PM
old brewer from IL dingleberg Introductions 1 08-12-2009 12:19 PM
New AG Brewer with ?'s PitsPale All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 06-06-2007 01:06 PM
pre-brewer from TX Comos Introductions 6 01-02-2007 06:36 PM
New Brewer BennyD96 General Techniques 2 08-12-2006 12:25 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS