Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BAD BEER WARNING: Henry Weinhards IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
stevedore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Wow didn't know it was made by a macro. Maybe I'll have to steer clear of trying this one out.

Current brewing pipeline: empty
Bottled: Rock Steady IPA, Hefeweizen
RIP: Everyday IPA, Coffee Stout
Future: BCBS clone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #12
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

+1 Dave

I was more disappointed in this one because it was a pale ale at best and not nearly the right hop profile. I was expecting more citrus and bright flavors, I got earthy, muddy, and crisp. Not what u expected…

Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
bb239605
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of this beer and bottle?

Several months ago I did a MillerCoors product survey for this exact beer. They showed us a bunch of different possible labels and product descriptions and we had to say our thoughts and rate each one. It was quite obvious that they were trying to pull the whole "wolf in sheep's clothing" bit by disguising this product as a local, small brewery made beer. I tried to warn them that it was a transparent ploy but apparently my voice went unheeded.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #14
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Here you go

http://www.henryweinhards.com/TheBeer/Default.aspx

Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #15
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Henry Weinhard's used to be an Oregon beer. Drank lots of it in college, decent beer for fizzy yellow water American beer at the time. It died when the Blitz Weinhard brewery in downtown Portland was shut down, then was made in Olympia. Then it got bought out by Miller and became a revived retro brand of beer.
Not BMC bad, but not craft beer good either.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
My problem with A lot of beers like this is the way they're disguised to fool people. I have no problem with Miller, Bud, or Coors getting into the craft beer market. I enjoyed Bud American Ale. I just don't like not knowing what i'm buying. When i'm in a beer store I usually don't have access to a lot of information about a beer. I'd hope that the bottle would easily let me know who is brewing the product.
Hows this for not knowing what you are buying...this is the only thing on the bottle:

http://www.mustlovebeer.com/albums/p.../photo_id/9703

I am hoping that I got an old bottle or something because it tasted nothing like any review I read afterwards

Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
Henry Weinhard's used to be an Oregon beer. Drank lots of it in college, decent beer for fizzy yellow water American beer at the time. It died when the Blitz Weinhard brewery in downtown Portland was shut down, then was made in Olympia. Then it got bought out by Miller and became a revived retro brand of beer.
Not BMC bad, but not craft beer good either.
Same, drank tons of Henry's until the brewery got gutted and turned into condos.

THPTPTH!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I had a thread about this same topic. My analysis is that it's a decent light Pale Ale, but nowhere near IPA in hops character. NOWHERE NEAR.

It's yet another attempt from a BMC manufacturer at selling pseudo craft beer to unsuspecting victims under the guise of a craft brewer name.

I have an image of a brewer standing over a boil kettle with a big ol bags of hops, and just not being able to dump them all in because they are so very expensive. "Instead I shall add more WATER!"

I still enjoyed the beer. It had enough malt and hops character to make it palatable, but I probably won't buy it again. I won't support such blatant intentional misinformation.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Never it had it in a bottle, but maybe it was old/stale? It wasn't that bad on draft and I'm a big quality IPA fan and homebrewer. I assume I got it fresh because it was not as horrible as you claim.

In the grand scheme of things I would still rate it average (C or C+). It was crisp, bitter, around 6-7% abv, and not super sweet.

It's just not as aromatic or flavorful as other examples. A little bit boring/bland.

There are far worse beers (and IPAs) out there to warn people about. BeerAdvocate gives this a 74 (average).

Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #20
theblaster
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
I just don't like not knowing what i'm buying. When i'm in a beer store I usually don't have access to a lot of information about a beer.
That's why I always have Pintly on my phone when I go into a beer store. I always check reviews if I am not familiar with a brewery. I love trying new beers, but I don't want to piss away my money on, well... piss.

Quick Reply