Austin Homebrew Supply-small complaint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
I emailed AHB with a small complaint that new brewers should know about their kits. The hops are not pre-measured. They come in 1oz sealed packages, so if you need .25oz of hops for an addition you have to guess-timate. Also, for me who does not brew a lot, I end up throwing out .75 oz of good hops.

I ended my email by letting them know that they have my business forever on the kits (I just racked my FT Clone from primary to secondary and drank the hydrometer sample, I could have drank a bottle of it right there!!), and that I loved their store.

you don't have to throw them out...just freeze them in a sandwich bag and mark what it is..

I guesstimate....but I'm a good guesser

I just toss them in till I think it's right, but I love hops. I also recently bought a digital scale which eliminates the guesswork.

Dan

Yeah, don't through out those hops. Keep them in the freezer until you brew up a hoppy APA or IPA, then throw them in the secondary. I drop hop almost all my American-style beers, to some extent.

Once again I learned something useful today about brewing using this forum.

Thanks everybody.

:mug:

Hardball said:
I emailed AHB with a small complaint that new brewers should know about their kits. The hops are not pre-measured. They come in 1oz sealed packages, so if you need .25oz of hops for an addition you have to guess-timate. Also, for me who does not brew a lot, I end up throwing out .75 oz of good hops.

See if you can get yourself one of these at the LHBS. - A whopping $3.50!! :D

http://www.mrbeer.com/view.php?id=hopscale&toplevel=Accessories&currentitem=22&showgroup=Accessories&menu=sub5&mactive=4&subactive=-1

I have one of these. It works very well and is easy to use.

I grow my own hops and packed the whole crop last year using this. ~6 oz. into 1/4oz baggies.

Leftovers go in the freezer. I made an ale last year using 7 different hops, five of them leftovers from AHB kits.

Sometimes I'm unavoidable detained from brewing. If I couldn't breakout the leftover hops and give them a whiff every now and again...I'd go crazy.

Use what you need...mark the bag with what's leftover...throw them in a freezer bag and stow away. You'll be glad you did.

Alternative suggestion: Put the left overs in a cheesecloth satchel then hang over a vent in your car....instant homebrewer air freshener

:)

haha man that is awesome brewt00l....good idea.

I think some people might think its something else though you know?

greenhornet said:
haha man that is awesome brewt00l....good idea.

I think some people might think its something else though you know?

LOL...good point! Perforate your LD Carlson or AHS baggie and use that in place of the cheese cloth.
:drunk:

Schlenkerla said:
See if you can get yourself one of these at the LHBS. - A whopping $3.50!! :D

http://www.mrbeer.com/view.php?id=hopscale&toplevel=Accessories&currentitem=22&showgroup=Accessories&menu=sub5&mactive=4&subactive=-1

I have one of these. It works very well and is easy to use.

I grow my own hops and packed the whole crop last year using this. ~6 oz. into 1/4oz baggies.

Im having a hard time visualizing how big that is. When I first saw it a while back, it looked like it could only be used with pellets. You measure whole hops with it?

I weigh my hops each time. I use a digital postal scale. 1 oz. is 28 grams, so, 14 grams for 1/2 ounce, 7 grams for a 1/4 ounce.

Works for me.

Buy your hops by the pound and use the savings for a digital scale. Life will be better. :)

Dude said:
Im having a hard time visualizing how big that is. When I first saw it a while back, it looked like it could only be used with pellets. You measure whole hops with it?

The thing is small - less than 3"x3" and less than 1/4" thick. Easily can fit in a shirt pocket. It fits in your palm of your hand. The round weight is the size of a nickel.

I clip on a small snack baggy then fill it with pellets until it meets the proper weight + 1 gram. The baggy is ~1gm.

I usually use the gram scale because it has smaller divisions. One could use the oz side just add alittle past the amount needed to make up for the baggy.

Yes - I used it with whole hops. I used sandwich bags. I could fill one full of fresh dried hops up to the point where you can't fit anymore, barely zippable. Then verified the weight at 1/4 oz. Nearly spot on everytime.

I don't know what I would have done without it, I had it since I started this hobby.

Latest posts

Back