The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Attn PA brewers: www.freemybeer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
czeknere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Attn PA brewers: www.freemybeer.com

Don't know if any fellow PA residents have heard of this site, but its supposed to be a petition to help liberate beer sales throughout the state. I have no idea if it will actually do anything, but I thought I'd pass it along.

www.freemybeer.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Should have put something along the line of "Attn PA brewers" in the title...if they don't know what it they may not take the time to look.

On another note, best of luck to you guys. I dont know what is wrong with the current sales laws in your state, but from glancing at that page you need to go to a liquor store to buy beer? Just a guess. I know that PA is actually a good state for opening a brewery, due to certain laws.... hopefully they help the consumers out too!

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 12-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Note that it's sponsored by Sheetz. I don't quite get beer laws, but are you sure you want a gas station writing the new laws? Things to consider- I don't know answers- but how will gas stations owned by large corporations work with small local breweries? Will they only want to deal with BMC?
I guess beer with a Pretzel Melt would be better than the current system... ah... I must get one while I'm out there :-)

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 12-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

PA beverage laws are among the worst in the nation. You go to a "state store" for liquor (where the hours suck and the prices are worse). However, there is no beer at the "state store." For beer, you go to a "distributor," where you can only buy by the case. If you only want a six pack, you go to a bar and pay exorbitant carry out prices. At a bar, you are limited to two six packs. There is no beer, wine, or liquor available in grocery stores, gas stations, etc, and buying any sort of alcohol on Sunday is nearly impossible.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
rcreveli
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

As yuri said the PA Liquor laws are unique.

Buying beer or any Malt beverage (ie Smirnoff Ice) in qty's less than a case is a nightmare. Part of the reason I'm taking up home brewing

The odd thing about the state liquor stores is that we get some specialty liquors at amazing prices that often impossible to find.

My FIL will visit from NJ to get a 1.5L of several boutique bourbons that you normally can't find north of the Mason Dixon and at nearly the same prices he paid at the distiller in Tennessee.

That being said the only thing worse than a Monopoly is a government run one.

Sheetz wants the law changed so they can sell beer. For the time being they are the enemy of my enemy besides if you can't trust a gas station equipped with a both a fryulator and full bore late machine who can you trust

Old 12-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
RDOwens
Recipes 

On the bright side, however, PA has drive-thru beer distributors. Nothing finer than popping the trunk and having someone fill it.

My father told me about them as I went away to college. When I found out the town my school was in had one, I was in heaven.

PA also closes state stores on holidays . . . or at least did back in the 80s. We used to have to hoof it back to NJ on those days. As I recall, a credit card could not be used either for purchasing. Admittedly, my experience is from some time ago.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
brew hoperator

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I honestly don't care who is able to change these laws, I just want to be able to buy beer at my convenience and not the state's. Yes BMC will control most of the shelf space, but they do this at the distributors now anyway. And I actually think the local craft breweries will gain from this as well. As a lot of people are aware, Philly has a real strong craft beer scene (Pittsburgh to a lesser degree) and this will make the grocery and convenient stores stock at least some craft beers.

I just hate having to take a gamble with buying a whole case of beer that I have never tried before. And as Yuri stated, 6 pack prices are laughable they are so high.

I hope these laws change soon, but I am not holding my breathe.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
agroff383
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
PA beverage laws are among the worst in the nation. You go to a "state store" for liquor (where the hours suck and the prices are worse). However, there is no beer at the "state store." For beer, you go to a "distributor," where you can only buy by the case. If you only want a six pack, you go to a bar and pay exorbitant carry out prices. At a bar, you are limited to two six packs. There is no beer, wine, or liquor available in grocery stores, gas stations, etc, and buying any sort of alcohol on Sunday is nearly impossible.

You are completely correct sir, these laws range back to the 1800's Quaker "blue" religious laws. We just recently were allowed to buy beer on Sundays from 12-5. This state is bull**** I love going to states where they have a beer section and I can't even get the Costco beer everyone talks about. I am all for revamping the laws it works fine in every other state.

Can I have your business card?

Old 12-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

No problem with credit cards now.
And Sheetz is still, I believe, a family business, a big one but still a family business. Besides, anything to open up the market to sales in grocery stores, etc. like most of the rest of the country is fine with me. I wouldn't care if it was WalMart or whoever your favorite, evil retailer may be.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
czeknere
Recipes 

Thanks for the change in the title, I didn't even think about that.

I have to agree with Brew Hoperator, I really don't care how the laws get changed - and like I stated, I don't even know if the petition will do anything, but the rules here are pretty bad. I remember vacationing in NC this past summer, walking into the grocery store and being amazed at the selection of beer by the bottle. The Brew Thru stores down there were fantastic.
I had heard somewhere that there were talks about allowing distributors to sell six packs, hopefully creating more competitive prices at bars.

I know the petition is a long shot, and I know it may be sponsored by Sheetz, but when it comes to expanding my ability to get beer, I'm all about it.

Quick Reply