Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Attention Wisconsin Brewers!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Attention Wisconsin Brewers!!!!

A group called the Wisconsin Homebrewers Alliance (WIHBA) is a group that is being facilitated by Gary Glass at the AHA and consists of representatives of Homebrew Clubs from around the state. You may have seen the small write up about it in the current issue of Zymurgy. The purpose is to get the law changed so that we may do all of the things we had done in the past legally. The model was the new legislation recently enacted in Oregon.

Today, a "Dear Colleague" letter went out to all the members of the legislature asking them to co-sponsor our legislation. Members have two weeks to sign on before it is introduced. We need all club members (and friends that they have around the state) to contact their state legislators in both the Assembly and the Senate and ask them to co-sponsor LRB 3101 - The Ellis/Kaufert legislation. Direct contact from constituents is the best way to get members to support this legislation. If the sponsors are your members then please let them know that you support the legislation and thank them for their efforts. The more grassroots support that we can get from hombrewers, brewers, home brew shops, distributors, etc. the more likely we are going to get this law changed in the next few months.

Due to the recalls, our window of opportunity is small this year. So, everyone please contact their legislator and have all of their friends around the state do likewise.

If you don't know who your legislators are check out the following link:
Who Are My Legislators?

NOTE: This a slightly modified e-mail that was sent from my home brew club. I have only modified it so that it would make sense to read if you are not a member. My hope is to reach out to homebrewers in the state that do not belong to a club but may be here on HBT. We need to act now and rally as many people behind our cause as possible.

Thank you for taking the time from your busy lives to help mold a better future for homebrewers in the state of Wisconsin.

Z

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not a clue what you are talking about.....what has changed?

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think you are unable to really host a beer competition legally, at least that is what I think I remember. A law was on the books, but was brought up due to home brew stores having beer on tap, it was something along those lines.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Zamial
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Not a clue what you are talking about.....what has changed?
Currently, as the law is, we are not legally allowed to drink our homebrew off our "property where it is brewed" the only legal homebrew comp in the entire state is the state fair comp because it has a special clause that allows it.

The WIHBA and AHA has started to get LRB 3101 - The Ellis/Kaufert legislation through. This is very much like what recently happened in Oregon. The proposal would allow us to take our homebrews anywhere we would like and legalize all homebrew competitions. In order for this to move forward we need as many Assembly and the Senate reps behind it as possible.

To get YOUR local reps behind it use the link I provided to find your reps and E-mail them informing them that you live in their district and as a voter are requesting that they become a co-sponsor for LRB 3101 - The Ellis/Kaufert legislation. This is the 1st step to getting the law changed.

With the recall elections and other political happenings we have 2 weeks to get this done. So you all need to contact those Reps. ASAP! This is very much a grass roots thing so we need as many people to contact their reps as possible, your friends and families to.

Does that clear things up?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Zamial
Recipes 

bump

Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Zamial
Recipes 

Bump-ity bump.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

bump. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just fired this off to my reps...

Quote:
Hello Representative X-

I live in Stone Bank and am writing to request your support for bill LRB 3101 that will be coming up in the next week. This bill deals with the homebrewing laws in our state. Recently, homebrewing has come under more scrutiny due to its growing popularity and it seems some older laws that were historically not enforced have come to give the community of homebrewers some significant problems. Specifically, we are not to take our homebrewed beer off the premises it was brewed on. This means when I go to my parents' house, I am not able to bring some of my hand crafted beer to share over dinner (or a million other similar situations). Further, I am aware that homebrew stores are not allowed to have sampling at their locations. In the past, sharing of homebrew has been an important vehicle for those of us in the community to share ideas and help one another understand problems and successes in our hobby. One large example is the Northern Brewer store on Hwy 100 just south of I-94. It used to be common place for brewers to bring in a few beers to have critiqued by other brewers or to sample Northern Brewer's newest recipes. This is both a fun and productive practice that ought to be encouraged, not illegal. Finally, I am aware that the legality of homebrew competitions has been questioned.

The homebrewing community is a growing section of industry both worldwide and very much in Wisconsin. Besides that, it is a great hobby for nerds like me who like to read science books and make beer to share with friends and family. The recent change in the application of the laws has significantly decreased the level of community enjoyment we as brewers are allowed.

I would greatly appreciate your support of this bill.

Thank you,
Boerderij Kabouter

Brewmaster of Brauwerij Boerderij Kabouter (in my basement)
Address
If you don't feel like writing anything, just copypaste that.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah this was discussed at our latest club meeting as well. The new law involves more than just competitions. It would also allow us to donate our brew to fundraisers, give it away at beer tasting events, and sample our brews at club meetings, among other things. Even though a lot of this is already done, it is still currently illegal.

But I don't get where you think that our window of opportunity is small, or why the recalls have anything to do with it. The bill has bipartisan support in the committees, and is expected to pass withing the next couple of months. That is not to say you don't need to voice your support to your rep. Every little bit helps.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Zamial
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
But I don't get where you think that our window of opportunity is small, or why the recalls have anything to do with it.
I am parroting this info, I am not a direct source unfortunately. In my original e-mail letters time was most certainly brought up as an issue. I plan to bump this thread until mid next week as I was told we have until the end of next week to rally support and contact the reps. (That does not mean wait to the last minute to contact them!!!)

Quick Reply