Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Attention PBW users

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #21
RadicalEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ok, so I cleaned out a few carboys last night; unfortunately neither were particularly nasty. After a quick water rinse, both only had a little encrusted scum on them. But I filled them up with the UBW and it cleaned it out right away, lots of nice fizzing action. Also only took a little rinsing, much less than PBW. Like Bokonon, I too would recommend this over PBW, especially at the lower price point!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #22
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I could do an ultimate test on my fermenter. One week with oxyclean is what I have been doing, and would love to get that down to a day maybe two. One to two days did not work with my setup and the oxyclean, at all. I still have PBW I bought from you Austin Home Brew, one big packet is gone and have slowly been using it for smaller stuff in the brewery.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #23
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wortmonger
I could do an ultimate test on my fermenter. One week with oxyclean is what I have been doing, and would love to get that down to a day maybe two. One to two days did not work with my setup and the oxyclean, at all. I still have PBW I bought from you Austin Home Brew, one big packet is gone and have slowly been using it for smaller stuff in the brewery.
Oxy clean is only effective for 12 hours. Anything after that is just the effect of soaking in water.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #24
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ahh, well this is really good to know. My fermenter now will get two days of fill and slosh with the oxyclean. I really thought I was letting it "clean" longer by sitting a week, but if it is just the soaking I want a faster way. I know this has been discussed before and don't want to start a how much topic, but in my case (15.5 gallon sanke as a fermenter filled with 12 gallons) how much of each would everyone prescribe? I use (1) 1/8 cup "scoop" of oxyclean in 10 gallons of 160*F water and reseal my keg and turn it upside-down so I am above the krausen ring in the keg. Based on this, what about the new product/PBW/and Oxyclean quantities?

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-25-2007, 03:01 AM   #25
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Got to use the UBC for the first time last week. Had a carboy that just finished primary, I rinsed with hot water then filled with hot water and 6 tablespoons of UBC. I went to bed and when I woke up it was clean...all the gunk had floated to the top of the carboy and easily rinsed away. Rinsed a couple times with hot water and couple with cold.

I can't say it is any better or worse than PBW but it gets the job done. I have an even messier carboy that is due for cleaning in a couple days, I look forward to putting it to the test again.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:43 AM   #26
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I used the UBC from Austin Homebrew Supply for the first time a couple of nights ago for soaking some pretty funky bottles in. I have to say that after just a couple of hours the bottles were clean and ready to sanitize. And all the labels were off of the few bottles that still had them on. I think that it works just as well as PBW and maybe a little better then Oxyclean. And for the price you really can't beat it.

Thanks for the sample Forrest! You got one more customer right here.

Cheers

Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #27
CarlLBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks, I was worried I wouldn't be able to try this because of the late PM. So far I would say it was pretty much identical to PBW and I need to try it on some nasty carboys, but as of right now, the next time I order from Austin homebrew supply I would add some to my order. too bad I just bought a pound of PBW, had I known about this I would have gone with the UBC. Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
CarlLBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Okay, just used it to clean out two carboys, not very dirty ones but it did do the job. I was suprised about the fact that it doesn't foam. I kinda like the fact that PBW foams, but that won't change me on the fact that UBC has a better price for the same ability. thanks again.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #29
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

The offer to send free samples of Ultimate Brewery Cleaner (UBC) in the mail has ended. However, if you would still like a sample put "HomeBrewTalk: FREE Sample of Ultimate Brewery Cleaner (UBC)" in the comments section when you place an order at Austin Homebrew Supply. I will send 1 sample per customer. This offer will end at the end of the year.

I still encourage you to leave comments on your experience with UBC, in this thread.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Old 12-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #30
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Originally sent as a PM, but since reviews are more appropriate here:

Hi, Forrest. I've had a chance to compare your Ultimate Brewery Wash to PBW in alternating brewing sessions. I have a couple of observations. First, UBW doesn't seem to dissolve as quickly as PBW. It's not a major issue, but it does seem to take a little more stirring to get the UBW completely into solution without leaving a small pile of it in the bottom of the pot.

The two products do seem pretty comparable in terms of effectiveness. I didn't have anything bizarrely difficult to clean in the various brew sessions where I switched back and forth between the two, so I can't say which is better for extreme stuck on/burned on goo. They both worked well to clean my gear post-brew. Both lifted labels with an overnight soak. Both seemed equally adept at cleaning my Better Bottles (a big deal because I don't want to use my carboy brush on them).

At first I thought your UBW was harder to rinse but that turned out not to be the case. It rinsed just as well as PBW in warm water. In cold water your UBW took a little longer to get past that slippery feel. In general, the UBW rinsed just as well but was a little harder to get off my hands, hence it seemed slipperier.

One note on packaging, if you don't mind a suggestion. Give purchasers the option of buying the cleaner in pre-measured sachets good for 5 gallons. I have a set of dedicated measuring spoons for chemicals. I suspect most people don't and are hesitant to dunk their wives' measuring spoons into brewery cleaners. That's why PBW's 2.5oz sachets are so handy. You don't have to measure, you don't have to rinse your measuring spoons, you don't have to mess with bulk cleaner. Just snip the corner of the packet, dump and go. If Austin Homebrew's cleaner were to come in similar packages, that would make a world of difference to the casual brewer. I know I'd buy a 10-pack of pre-measured sachets for a premium over bulk cleaner just for the convenience factor. You could also package an appropriately sized scoop in with bulk cleaner, perhaps one that is marked for 1gal, 2.5gal and 5gal worth of cleaner.

Thanks again for the chance to try a sample of your cleaner. I hope these suggestions help.

Take care,
Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Quick Reply