Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Attention dads and moms: how do you raise children in the context of brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #11
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Why did I ever even think about it? Brew on, let the little ones fall into place where they may!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
Lechien
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

deleted

Reason: agreement with other posters not allowed by bigbeergeek.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lechien View Post
Don't make such a big deal about it.

You brewing and drinking responsibly will set the example.
see post #6

Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #14
dmbRedGetta
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I completely agree. My stepson is going on 8 and he knows beer is an adult beverage. He says he doesn't like it but he's never tried it. He thinks it smells bad and probably wouldn't try it if we offered it to him. I even try to get him to help me brew and he refuses. I'm sure things will change as he gets older, but if I've learned anything from becoming a parent to a young child literally overnight, it's to take things as they come. Your kids will have very specific personalities, and you'll know what to do when the time comes.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
Fionnbharr
Just Some Guy in a Hat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I think you have more to worry about than this.

What if you asked the question: "How do you raise children in the context of 'Dad fixing car engines in the garage'?"

Unless you have a family that thinks alcohol in general is 'sinful', then don't worry about it.

...Because, as everyone knows, fixing engines is of the devil.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbRedGetta View Post
I completely agree. My stepson is going on 8 and he knows beer is an adult beverage. He says he doesn't like it but he's never tried it. He thinks it smells bad and probably wouldn't try it if we offered it to him. I even try to get him to help me brew and he refuses. I'm sure things will change as he gets older, but if I've learned anything from becoming a parent to a young child literally overnight, it's to take things as they come. Your kids will have very specific personalities, and you'll know what to do when the time comes.
Thank you. A well thought out reply my friend.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
Chefencore
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My son is three- he's more interested in the equipment than the process or result. My daughter is 15 months, and is really learning words. I taught her to say beer. Now everything that daddy drinks is beer. But every picture she sees of a boy is Riley(her brother).

I just started brewing, so it is new to them and still has the shine on it, as it does for me too. But I've been drinking beer their entire lives, heck probably contributed TO their being alive if ya know what I mean.

Being a parent is tough, especially in the beginning. Just always have their best interest in mind, and keep it simple. When they become interested in actually drinking, we're gonna have bigger problems (like sex!)

"What do you use to weigh down your hop spider?"

"Hops..."

Old 04-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #18
granary
Recipes 

I lurk here all the time, but I just had to respond to this. I think you need to figure out how YOU feel about brewing, and the kind of people whose opinions matter to you, and will matter to your child(ren). My own philosophy is pretty open. Beer, wine, mead, and mixed drinks are all "Mommy-Daddy drinks", but my 6yo is welcome to a taste if she asks. Sometimes she likes what's in the glass, sometimes not. But it opens up a dialog to explain WHY it's not okay for her to have her own cup (yet). Eventually, we'll take it further and do age-appropriate "research" on the effects of alcohol on developing humans. But for now, a simple "It's not for you" is sufficient.

My personal belief is that parents are responsible to teach their children to drink responsibly. Homebrewing provides a wonderful venue for open, honest, and ongoing discussions about alcohol consumption and potential social/economic impacts. It also provides an excellent opportunity to teach a child how to respect their efforts and others too. When a friend spends time painting a great picture in art class, my daughter doesn't go scribble all over it, and when we brew, she doesn't pour it all over the house and play in it. As she gets older, our hope is that she'll respect the time and energy that goes into good beer (wine/mead/etc.) and imbibe moderately - for enjoyment.

On a very basic level, my 6yo likes to eat the grains when Daddy brings her to the beer store. And she likes to wear a funnel as a hat and use the long spoon to stir an empty bucket. She's like a mad scientist. And she loses interest about 20 minutes into the initial boil.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #19
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Both of my boys have been around homebrewing since they were born. Neither one of them really liked the taste until they were 18 to 19. Did they steal beer every now and then. Yeah, probably. Did they steal a cigarette or two, yeah probably. I have always told them, when you get old enough to make your own decisions about your life, then you can drink (smoke, etc.) any time you like. I equate being able to make your own decisions to emancipated. Once I'm not responsible for your actions, it's up to you. Until that time, it's up to me to set a good example. By the way, both of my boys are grown, the youngest almost out of college and both of them are damned fine brewers!

Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #20
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by granary View Post
I lurk here all the time, but I just had to respond to this. I think you need to figure out how YOU feel about brewing, and the kind of people whose opinions matter to you, and will matter to your child(ren). My own philosophy is pretty open. Beer, wine, mead, and mixed drinks are all "Mommy-Daddy drinks", but my 6yo is welcome to a taste if she asks. Sometimes she likes what's in the glass, sometimes not. But it opens up a dialog to explain WHY it's not okay for her to have her own cup (yet). Eventually, we'll take it further and do age-appropriate "research" on the effects of alcohol on developing humans. But for now, a simple "It's not for you" is sufficient.

My personal belief is that parents are responsible to teach their children to drink responsibly. Homebrewing provides a wonderful venue for open, honest, and ongoing discussions about alcohol consumption and potential social/economic impacts. It also provides an excellent opportunity to teach a child how to respect their efforts and others too. When a friend spends time painting a great picture in art class, my daughter doesn't go scribble all over it, and when we brew, she doesn't pour it all over the house and play in it. As she gets older, our hope is that she'll respect the time and energy that goes into good beer (wine/mead/etc.) and imbibe moderately - for enjoyment.

On a very basic level, my 6yo likes to eat the grains when Daddy brings her to the beer store. And she likes to wear a funnel as a hat and use the long spoon to stir an empty bucket. She's like a mad scientist. And she loses interest about 20 minutes into the initial boil.
I fully share your perspective on this.

Quick Reply