Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Attempting 40%+ ABV beer... "Barley Brandy"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #21
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Also thinking the lowest mash temp I can get away with... and mashing for at least 90 minutes

solid call on the dry ice! I'll put that little nugget of info in the back of my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #22
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Good luck. I have similar plans. My 100th batch coming up will be my "Insanity Stout", 25% ABV attempt. WLP099 loves nutrient and O2.

Some time after I plan to brew another and freeze concentrate it. I may need to see if I can call in backup as far as a freezer is concerned... I wonder if Dippin' Dots here in KY will be willing to help . Only one way to find out... Their freezer is -50*F.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #23
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thats more or less how Brew Dog brews their Tactical Nuclear Penguin. They brew a massive Imp stout, age it in oak and then keep freezing off the water in an ice cream factory.

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Maybe that's my answer to my concerns around the final product being too syrupy... if BrewDog can do an Impy Stout this way, you figure I should be able to pull it off without it being absolute cough syrup.

Now... will it be GOOD?!?!? Jesus... who knows.

I'm thinking about adding a handful of peated malt... aging in oak for a long long time... maybe black cherries?

We'll have to see what the stuff tastes like.

Quote:

Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Instead if he barrel, why not a corny with oak chips or an oak rod. Also you could seal it without worry of to much o2 exposure. When it comes time for freezing just make sure your freezing in plastic that can take the expand and contracting of the freeze.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #26
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
Instead if he barrel, why not a corny with oak chips or an oak rod. Also you could seal it without worry of to much o2 exposure. When it comes time for freezing just make sure your freezing in plastic that can take the expand and contracting of the freeze.
I'm really not worried about O2 at a beer approaching 100 proof... I'm not sure a little oxidation would be a bad thing.

Plus... at this point, we're not even really talking "beer". Hell, the U isn't "beer" so much and I think the normal rules and conventions of stuff like oxidation being a problem, etc. start to break down.

Quote:

Old 05-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #27
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
... unless you are saying the yeast will struggle simply because the oils are there.
This is what I gathered. They were concerned for yeast viability and overall health. I would get a resident yeast guru to confirm or deny this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
We'll see... NOT disagreeing... just don't know. I know this is how BrewDog makes their monster ABV beers and they were able to get End of History up to 55%. My freezer goes to -6f so I'm hoping that'll be enough to pull a fair amount of water out.
I am not going to go into the dissertation of the how and why's of freeze concentration. I have done it on a Barley Wine and that is still a "work in progress" (I have a damn good reason as to why many of my posts/projects have been going slow but that is it's own post...lol).

On my BW I got 1 good pass at a 15%ish ABV. After that it was a PITA trying to get the concentration to work correctly at room temps. The Ice "slush" is more liquid than solid. A funnel and cheese cloth "filter" proved to work but the tiny ice shards would melt almost as fast as the liquid poured through it. IMO this may have had better results and felt less futile if done in a room where the temp was -6F or colder and it would be large enough for you + your equipment.

Best of luck!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
My two cents, why do a batch size that small? If you have 5 gallons of your 1200 post-boil wort, that's still only going to be about 2-2.5 gallons of final product when all is said and done.

Ahhhh... gotcha Bird... sorry... yes, you're right... I'm off in left field. I just got what you're saying... duhhh... cut it in half via freezing and I'm only going to have a couple of gallons.

Sorry... brain cramp.

Yeah, we'll see. I'll have to noodle on that.

Quote:

Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #29
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you thought about how you will separate the slush from the beer yet?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #30
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Seems like if you freeze the beer in a corny keg, the slushy bits all ought to be float at the top. Hit it with some CO2 and transfer the remaining liquid (the dip tube's at the bottom, after all) to a fresh, clean, sanitized keg. I know you're not paranoid about adding a little O2, but seems like that would help you minimize any oxidation. Using anything like a slotted spoon or whatever to remove the ice, seems likely you'd aerate the **** out of it.

Actually, why not do a practice eisbier run on something else first? Make a pale-ale eis or something, get the process down before ****ing around with the real deal. You know how dumb it is to try something brand new and completely unproven on a beer like the Utopias.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply