The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Attempting 40%+ ABV beer... "Barley Brandy"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 47

And I dunno... can you really pull almost 70% of the water out of a beer by freezing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For what it is worth...

I see a few things worthy of mention.

O2 - If you are not going to use an O2 stone you may stall out early. O2, or lack there of, is one of the biggest factors when fermenting with a super high OG. IMO you really need to use O2 + a stone for this one...

I am not the yeast expert but I have ALWAYS read that you should never pitch onto a super hoppy yeast cake because the hop oils attach themselves to the yeast's cell walls.

About eisening (I will refer to it as freeze concentration from here forward)...the higher the ABV% is to start the harder it gets to get the water to freeze. 20% is probably going to be really hard to get it to freeze very well. I highly doubt you will get anywhere near a 50% jump in ABV you are planning on. The other thing you should know is that you really only get 1 good freeze + thaw before it starts to get to that point of not wanting to freeze correctly, with a home freezer.

Best of luck!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
My two cents, why do a batch size that small? If you have 5 gallons of your 1200 post-boil wort, that's still only going to be about 2-2.5 gallons of final product when all is said and done.
doing TWO small batches...

My goal is to buy a 5 gallon oak barrel and have that filled once everything is off the yeast.

Quote:

Old 05-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
And I dunno... can you really pull almost 70% of the water out of a beer by freezing??
Didn't the ****clowns with the squirrel do that? You aren't going to do it in one go, it'll take a few slush-cycles to do that but I don't see why you COULDN'T.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts

Sounds like a great experiment. Hope you are able to do it, would love to do something like this some day. "SSiirrously OFfficer, I onlee had Onee pint"

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing
Theoretically with a cold enough freezer and multiple freeze/thaw cycles using temperature control during the thaw 100% water reduction could be possible.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 05-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #17
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
For what it is worth...

I see a few things worthy of mention.

O2 - If you are not going to use an O2 stone you may stall out early. O2, or lack there of, is one of the biggest factors when fermenting with a super high OG. IMO you really need to use O2 + a stone for this one...:
Got one... fully intend on using it early and often

Quote:
I am not the yeast expert but I have ALWAYS read that you should never pitch onto a super hoppy yeast cake because the hop oils attach themselves to the yeast's cell walls....:
Solid point but I'm not too too worried about it given a couple of things:
1) I dry hop my IIIPA with over a pound of hops... AFTER I rack off the yeast so I don't know that there will be a asston of hops oils there
2) if there are, I'm guessing the ABV and very long aging process will make any hop flavor aroma dissappear instantly.
... unless you are saying the yeast will struggle simply because the oils are there.

Quote:

About eisening (I will refer to it as freeze concentration from here forward)...the higher the ABV% is to start the harder it gets to get the water to freeze. 20% is probably going to be really hard to get it to freeze very well. I highly doubt you will get anywhere near a 50% jump in ABV you are planning on. The other thing you should know is that you really only get 1 good freeze + thaw before it starts to get to that point of not wanting to freeze correctly, with a home freezer.....:
We'll see... NOT disagreeing... just don't know. I know this is how BrewDog makes their monster ABV beers and they were able to get End of History up to 55%. My freezer goes to -6f so I'm hoping that'll be enough to pull a fair amount of water out.

If nothing else, I think it'll be an interesting experiment.

Quote:
Best of luck!
thx

Quote:

Old 05-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #18
Mr_Pear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Wow sounds pretty epic. I hope it works out for ya!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Subscribed!

Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Alley Cat Ale IIPA
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Black Cat Stout, Cat Haus Ale
Want to know more? Visit my beer blog!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #20
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you are having problems getting it to freeze after the first freeze you could always go and get some dry ice and use a lb or two of that to see how much in brings the temp down in your freezer. -147F is the temp of dry ice if I remember correctly so it should be pretty effective at bringing down the temp in a small volume space with little heat loss.

Quick Reply