Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Astringency in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
ipajay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Astringency in beer

I brewed a hoppy red that I just dry hopped. I took a sample while the fermenter was open and while the aroma was great along with the initial sip there was then a astringency that lingered. Is there any cure but allowing time for it to fade? I believe the culprit was due to the steeping grains if this helps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I doubt your steeping grains are the issue unless you really over rinsed them and even then I would still have my doubts. Leave it alone and let it do it's thing. If you still have a problem in a month then try to diagnose it.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Perhaps it's just the "green" beer flavor. One of my recent batches had what I thought was a slight astringency which caused me to review my mash/sparge technique, but after a month or two I don't notice it any more.

Quick Reply