Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > An article from bloomberg business on the death of American beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
badducky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default An article from bloomberg business on the death of American beer

So, I was researching why a bottle of premium price beer tasted like a BMC with food coloring, and found this article. It made me very angry and sad and more inspired to tighten my homebrew production schedule so something is always ready:
http://mobile.businessweek.com/artic...-americas-beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

A local guy won a mdel at The Great American Beer Festival. I was looking for info. and found that article.

My interpretation was more of a "Death of mass produced beer" in America. Micros and Nanos seem to be flourishing.

Oh - also have you heard of "Batch 19"? The company places their name in fine print.

I think they are trying to market better beer and act like they never forgot about brewing good beer in lieu of maximizing profits.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 22

This article is so full of BS.

1) The recipe for Becks and Hoegarden has not changed. Even when it comes to the water, beer chemists are sophisticated enough that they can accurately mimic any water profile anywhere in the world. Drinkers might "think" it's different once they know it's brewed somewhere else, but it most certainly is exactly the same.

2) The article is demonizing InBev for buying hops from the lowest bidder? Who with any business sense DOESN'T buy their supplies from the lowest bidder? Lower quality, less flavorful HALLERTAU hops? Come on, they are making Bud Light here, not Paulaner Hefeweizen.

The whole thing is just a witch hunt. I don't like the yellow fizzy stuff any more than the next homebrewer, but there's nothing wrong with InBev. They serve their purpose. All the points the article tries to make about InBev's business practices could probably just as easily be said about Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada or any other brewery of scale. They are just taking the tough decisions of business and acting like InBev is making all the wrong choices, but they most certainly are not on average and everyone in business makes mistakes.

Bad article in my estimation. It's like someone took all of the "evil corporation" and "sh**ty mass produced beer" buzzwords/talking points and lumped then together into one piece, feeding on public opinion with litte regard for any insight or originality. Lazy work.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2108 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

I don't get why this goes on in this country. We have laws against monopolizing that are tossed aside religiously. We need another president like Teddy Roosevelt. He didn't put up with such nonsense,busting 25 different companies fro monopolizing.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I don't get why this goes on in this country. We have laws against monopolizing that are tossed aside religiously. We need another president like Teddy Roosevelt. He didn't put up with such nonsense,busting 25 different companies fro monopolizing.
Are you saying that as soon as a business reaches a certain level of success it should be destroyed on principle? I don't get it. InBev is not a monopoly, not by a long shot.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 267

Already been posted. There's a 19 page thread on this here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/nice...rofits-363728/

Rev.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
Are you saying that as soon as a business reaches a certain level of success it should be destroyed on principle? I don't get it. InBev is not a monopoly, not by a long shot.
There's a huge difference between growing your own company & just swallowing up all the competition. That's a monopoly. They are most def a monopoly by definition alone.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
TopherM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Quote:
They are most def a monopoly by definition alone
Union, I typically agree with you on all things brewing, but I think you need to look up the definition of the word monopoly

InBev has around a 25% market share worldwide and a little under 50% market share in the US. A "monopoly by definition alone" is a company that has 100% market share, and the government DOES get involved when any company starts pushing 70-75% market share (unless you are in professional sports, apparently). Luckily, InBev is really NO WHERE CLOSE.

If InBev bought out MillerCoors (19% market share in the US), then the government would take a pretty close look, but even then, they wouldn't be particularly close to a monopoly. I'm pretty sure the FTC would approve that merger.

Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Maybe I should've said monopolizing. They own 69% of the brewing in I think it was Brazil for instance. They own more than 20% depending on the country. And what they're doing to the beer is a crime. I see that you don't have to own it all to try to. But,if people like it,then...

Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
TopherM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Joy and Pain. Sunshine and Rain. 80s style philosophy!!

The way I look at it, you can't appreciate anything in life without experiencing it's opposite. Without InBev/MillerCoor's mass beer, we wouldn't appreciate craft beer.

They are the organized (enter large denomonation here) church. Some people need the Catholic Church, a smaller % of people can think for themselves. My mom would be insanely depressed without her church. I would be insanely depressed in it.

I learned a LONGGGG time ago that trying to make other people think/act/drink like me is an utter waste of time, and even if I were successful, it'd cheapen my personal brand, so live and let live.....even with InBev!!

Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

People Like This 

Quick Reply