Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Article about Sierra Nevada brewing green

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
but then i know man made global warming is a myth use to push central planing.
Oh man - my geek watch is going off! LOL

Quote:
the whole globe can go to a electric - hydrogen economy
Well - if you like creating green house gases I suppose it''s a good way. Its a very dirty fuel to produce.

Come on dude -stop trolling. That makes zero sense. There are way better things then electric - hydrogen on the horizon. Thank God you are not in charge. A LITTLE knowledge can do a lot of harm.

Don't be another starry-eyed environmentalists. A lot of people get all excited over hydrogen but they are only looking at the BIG picture and not the logistics of how to actually do it without exploding the planet.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Sierra Nevada has a much better use for spent grain...they feed it to their herd of beef cattle at the Chico State University farm. These cows get turned into filet mignon...and holy mother does it taste wonderful! A torpedo and a filet mignon with crumbled gorgonzola and grilled asparagus...it's something special, and well worth the price.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great article. I have visited New Belgium in Fort Collins and they have similar processes. I think they use more wind than solar. One cool part about NBB is that they are employee owned, so the employees actually decided to pay slightly more to raise capital for "green" improvements.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Sierra Nevada has a much better use for spent grain...they feed it to their herd of beef cattle at the Chico State University farm. These cows get turned into filet mignon...and holy mother does it taste wonderful! A torpedo and a filet mignon with crumbled gorgonzola and grilled asparagus...it's something special, and well worth the price.
That's awesome! Maybe they can make a Sierra Nevada Au Jus Ale. Beef and Beer in one bottle sounds mighty tasty.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
thedigitale
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
responsible to who?
i would rather thay use natural gas and lower the price of there beer.
i am all for being eco frendly and not poluting but CO2 is not polution.
I sort and recycle all my trash and i dont even have trash service were i live so i have to haul it to a colection center and they charge you for it. but the whole Co2 carbon credit thing is costly stupid and drives up the cost of living and doing bussiness, and that lowers the qualty of life for the poor.
there is a 200+ year suppy of fossle fuel. if you want to impress me take all this money that the govement waste on crap spending and putforth a one trillion dollors to make viable fusion energy in 20 years, after that happons the whole globe can go to a electric - hydrogen economy, and never burn fossle fuel again. that is the kind of real action we would take if there was infact a global crisis.

all this other fluff is just feel good do nothing rubish.
First of all... Kudos to SN for pulling this off.

Now for the statement above.

With the constant variation in fuel price, getting a renewable energy plan implemented will allow the brewery to maintain a constant expense, and better set the price of the beer long term.

The electric hydrogen model is not a 20 year project, and so care needs to be taken not to over extend in the meantime while research is being done. LED lights are a pretty simple thing in comparison and yet still not mainstream for most purposes.

I'll finish this by saying...

Someone who has done a but of homework on this topic should, at the very least, know how to spell fossil fuel.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts

I have to think that most brewers find farmers that want their grain for pigs, sheep cows but NOT horses! Horses can not digest grain (rodents can not either I guess).

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I never really noticed SN's prices to be outrageous; they are right in line with most other craft brewers.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was looking into getting some solar panels for the house. It would run me about $14,000 for the entire install. At that point I would be totally off the grid and selling power back to the electric company as well. It would take roughly 10 years to pay for itself. Not too bad, as long as we don't get hail.

-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #19
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6253 Times on 5427 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
responsible to who?
i am all for being eco frendly and not poluting but CO2 is not polution.
I sort and recycle all my trash and i dont even have trash service were i live so i have to haul it to a colection center and they charge you for it. but the whole Co2 carbon credit thing is costly stupid and drives up the cost of living and doing bussiness, and that lowers the qualty of life for the poor.
there is a 200+ year suppy of fossle fuel. if you want to impress me take all this money that the govement waste on crap spending and putforth a one trillion dollors to make viable fusion energy in 20 years, after that happons the whole globe can go to a electric - hydrogen economy, and never burn fossle fuel again. that is the kind of real action we would take if there was infact a global crisis.

all this other fluff is just feel good do nothing rubish.
No offense, but your points would carry a little more weight if there weren't so many spelling errors and grammar issues.

Back to topic - I really need to tour this brewery. It looks impressive!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #20
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer View Post
I was looking into getting some solar panels for the house. It would run me about $14,000 for the entire install. At that point I would be totally off the grid and selling power back to the electric company as well. It would take roughly 10 years to pay for itself. Not too bad, as long as we don't get hail.
That is 10 years at today's energy prices...what if prices go up? Also, I wonder how much the solar panels can increase the resale value of the home. As a buyer, knowing that your electric bill will be very low is pretty cool.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Quick Reply