Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Article about Sam Adams (and craft beer in general) in the news this morning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
wburns
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Article about Sam Adams (and craft beer in general) in the news this morning

http://readingeagle.com/article/2014...0#.Utw8zBAo600
Carboy #1 - Edwort's Apfelwein
Carboy #2 - Edwort's with a twist
Currently bottled - blackberry and strawberry
Ramitt Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
andhou27
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I used to really like Sam Adams, but Sam Adams is now as close as a craft brewery can get to a Miller or Coors. Every year craft beer conventions have to redefine the number of barrels produced a year to allow Sam Adams to even be considered a craft brewery. Some of their beer is pretty good, but overall they produce WAY too many different beers and it seems as though they aren't as dedicated to their beer as a Stoudt's or Victory. I guess that's what happens to big business, even the one-time underdogs.

Future Brews: Honey Kolsch, Black IPA, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Assaazin Belgian Pale Ale
Past Brews: Irish Red Ale

Old 01-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #3
619Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Counter Culture turns into trends, and trends turn into business. It's inevitable and happens all the time.

Punk Music is a perfect example of this. Where is the line drawn in someone being a sell out?

I say as long as they are remaining dedicated to putting out the same product that got them popular and are continuing an effort to remain relevant in today's market, more power to them. But that's just my 2 cents.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Brewer View Post
I say as long as they are remaining dedicated to putting out the same product that got them popular and are continuing an effort to remain relevant in today's market, more power to them. But that's just my 2 cents.
So where does Angry Orchard fall into this?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
zardozap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andhou27 View Post
I used to really like Sam Adams, but Sam Adams is now as close as a craft brewery can get to a Miller or Coors. Every year craft beer conventions have to redefine the number of barrels produced a year to allow Sam Adams to even be considered a craft brewery. Some of their beer is pretty good, but overall they produce WAY too many different beers and it seems as though they aren't as dedicated to their beer as a Stoudt's or Victory. I guess that's what happens to big business, even the one-time underdogs.
I still enjoy several of their beers. Their Ocktoberfest is very decent. I also see they are trying very hard to compete with the craft brewers by introducing new and different beers. Some have been interesting, however more than a few have been downright dreadful (Double Agent IPL). That said. They are still doing a better job than B,M&C.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:34 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
So where does Angry Orchard fall into this?
Diversity.

Cheers!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
i4ourgot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah they might be turning into a big corporate brewery but they still can be the gateway drug getting people into other breweries and getting people off the corona.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 AM   #8
andhou27
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 29

There are a lot of Sam Adams beers i like. Although, the worst would have to be Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout. Top 3 worst beer I have ever had.

Future Brews: Honey Kolsch, Black IPA, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Assaazin Belgian Pale Ale
Past Brews: Irish Red Ale

Old 01-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #9
zardozap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andhou27 View Post
There are a lot of Sam Adams beers i like. Although, the worst would have to be Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout. Top 3 worst beer I have ever had.
Glad to know it wasn't me. I drain poured it after 1/4 of a glass.

I don't know what they were thinking.

The only good thing to some from it, is that I have a nice pint bottle for something good.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 762

SA gets such a bad name lately for what they have done and still do. They literally saved over 100 breweries of breweries during the hop crisis. They employ hundreds of people in my state alone, and pay well and take care of their employees.

They are not trying to make a pliny or heady. They make typical beers to grade of several styles, usually not earth shattering. They appeal to the casual beer drinker and not to the hardcore "craft" head. They produce overspiced nonsense, but so does nearly every craft brewery in the fall (big and small). At 1% of the market, they are not a giant by any means. And as they grow, they are cutting into BMC, not craft breweries. No one says "I used to drink Lawsons until I found Sams." They open the eyes to BMC drinkers that there can be light, crisp and drinkable beers in other styles. Many of whom will begin trying other local/regional/national breweries who are truly craft breweries.

I don't really drink SA that much, but I usually try anything new they make, just to see. Sometimes its aweful, sometimes I make fun of them, sometimes I drink Utopias and love them. I'm still happy they are apart of the scene though. The worst part is that some of their more interesting and well done beers have been local only or extremely limited in release, such as Kosmic mother funk.

Their growth shows one amazing fact in America: people want beer that tastes like something. The rest is subjective

Quick Reply