Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Artesian Well Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
jalgayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey -

Yeah the water tastes very, very good. It is tested often by the city. Anytime I am there, I run into 3-4 people that are stocking up on it and have been drinking it for years and years.

I made the pliny clone with it 4 weeks or so ago and its just into the bottles now. I tasted at transfer and tasted great. Well see how it works out in the long run.

Regards,
Jason

BOTTLED / DRINKING
Mad-Elf Inspiration, Graff

SECONDARY
Flander's Sour Red {1 Year Old on July 28, 2011}

PRIMARY
Vanilla-Almond Pumpkin Ale, Surly Furious, Triple Karmelite Clone

ON DECK
Double White

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

mate you are doing the right thing by giving that a go. The used to brew beer because the water was unsafe to drink basically. That and it just plain cool to have water thats not from a tap or bottle

Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #23
moosetav
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I also think it gives it some hometown connection. We don't have Indiana hops (aside from home grown), Indiana malts, etc. so I thought it was a cool way to say this is a real Indiana beer. Tap water tastes like tap water most anywhere. Little more character, you know?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

yeah mate I fully understand. it just gives the beer a story and as you say a hometown connection. You can always say, "I bring in the finest ingredients from all four corners of the earth and mix it with pure local water to create Indiana's greatest brew..." or something along those lines

Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #25
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I just have to take a 5min drive to my parents house and fill a few containers from their well water. EXCELLENT water. Screw city water for big batches. Mr Beer didn't suffer from city water, however I will use some nice well water for 5 gal batches.

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Old 05-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #26
Pick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My water is pumped from the Florida aquifer, same one that Coca Cola get their Dasani bottled water from. Plant is 3 miles from my house! They also bottle under 42 other brand names including Publix. Local well driller says our local water is some of the best in the state.

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Drinking Ed Wort's Apfelwein 3.5.10
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
Keg 5: Empty

Old 05-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #27
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The quality of water can't be assessed by saying "city," "well," "artesian," "spring" or any other simple one-word descriptor. Only a comprehensive test can determine the quality of the water. Easy to test for minerals, such as iron, calcium, magnesium, sulfur. Harder to test for microorganisms. Far more difficult to test for complex organic molecules like pesticides or herbicides.
Our "shallow" well (about 90 feet, pump at 65 feet) has good, perfectly drinkable water. However, it's loaded with calcium and iron, so it's no good for things like some cooking, coffee, and certainly not brewing. I employ the RO (reverse osmosis) water from the machine at the grocery store, and have very good results with my beer.

Fresh water is the crisis that will come to completely eclipse oil, and soon.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #28
moosetav
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I drank 2 pints of each beer last night. Great stuff. like I said in an earlier post, tastes like their spring water counterparts but with more flavor and more body. I'm very happy with it. Not saying this is super water or anything but,
A: It's FREE
B: I like it
I used it to brew my IIPA on saturday and will brewing a hefe with it this weekend. Curious to see how it works with the different styles. I've got a porter, stout, and roggenbier on deck so we'll see how they go.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #29
rompstar
Recipes 

I have an artesian well that came with my property. When I bought the property 4 years ago, when the plumber was fixing a pump, he measured the natural pressure coming off of the well and it was at 20 pounds. Sometimes when electricity goes out, we still have running water in the house, which is kind of cool.

Anyways, I have been brewing now here for 3 years (first started with extracts and now only do grain), and all my beers comes out fantastic. There are no chemicals in this type of water (no chlorine/flourine/whatever else they put in there). I drink it also and never had any problems, it does go through a filter system in the pump house.

It definitely makes the beer not just good, but great! A lot of my friends who also brew, just use city water and its not the same, they come and get free water from my well.

Do a small 5 gallon test batch and see :- )

kodiakbrewing.com - a home brewer

Quick Reply