LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
LKABrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do a search on 'swamp cooler'. Basically, put your fermentor in a tub filled with water. This will increase the mass of your fermenter, and stop the temperature swings. Also, you can swap out frozen 2-liter bottles to cool it.

For homebrew supplies and equipment in Fredericksburg, VA go to thebrewshop.biz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
I don't dry hop. The latest I usually put hops in is 15 minutes. Too early for aroma?

Temp varies maybe +/-5 degrees from 68 degrees.
Did anyone catch this? There's your aroma issue right there. 15 is too early for aroma. You need a good 10, 5, and flameout addition for big hop aroma. I dry hop most of my beers, but if you make an APA or IPA, you NEED a dry hop, otherwise you just won't get the aroma characteristic of the beer. Other styles don't need a dry hop, but if you want any aroma at all, you need some solid 10 min and later additions.

Oh, and get your temperatures under control. You need to get rid of temperatures swings and keep things under 68 (speaking generally) to be making the best beer possible.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply