The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Arguing about differences in taste

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Pschof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 110
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Arguing about differences in taste

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
This discussion is a classic example of a my taste / your taste issue. . . Bottom line: If you don't like it, don't drink it. If you can afford it, and you like it, drink all the DFH you want!
I am curious what other people think about this. I tend to think that arguing about the merits and demerits of beer has its value, so long as you say more than "I like it" or "I don't." For instance, when I say something good about a beer, I don't just mean "I like it" but something more like: "There is something to be appreciated about this beer."

As an example, some people hate Midas Touch and complain that it is way too sweet. My response is usually that you need to be in the right mood. It isn't the same thing you would want on a hot day in the late afternoon after mowing a lawn. But treat it like an after dinner drink-- maybe as a dessert. Getting in that frame of mind can allow a lot of people to appreciate what is good about it.

Or some people complain about other DogFish Head stuff that they are just throwing random ingredients together without regard for taste. My response is to explain what I like about various beers. For instance, Palo Santo Marron has that crazy Palo Santo wood. I like it because it gives it this very rich vanilla favor without having to put tons of chocolate malt in it. So it ends up being a brown that has vanilla character, which I like.

I've changed my opinions about IPAs because of the way people describe them. At first they all tasted to me like just a bunch of random hops were thrown in. Some still taste like that to me, but I have others that I like now (DFH 90, Harpoon, HopDevil).

Anyway, I guess this is a defense of arguing about beer a little, rather than simply throwing up our hands and saying "it is all a matter of taste." Of course, eventually we'll hit bedrock and some people will just find some things gross. But maybe we shouldn't think we've hit bedrock too quickly.
__________________
Pschof is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,881
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Where those discussions devolve into a waste of time is when someone makes a definitive declaration like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysaidthis
Blahandblah is the worst brewery/beer/movie/song in the history of so-and-so's.
__________________
http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com - Brewin' and 'Quein' since last Tuesday.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
JetSmooth is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Pschof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 110
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Where those discussions devolve into a waste of time is when someone makes a definitive declaration like:
You see, I actually have had a lot of good conversations that start out that way.
__________________
Pschof is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 2,607
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Default

for me i try to judge a beer based on what i expect from the style. if i drink a pale ale i expect it to be more on the bitter end but not overly so. if i drink a stout (depending on the style of stout) i don't expect it to be as bitter as a pale ale and have a nice chocolate, coffee, or burnt taste. i've tasted a few commercial stouts that where very bitter and i wouldn't drink them again. occasionally i get surprised by a beer in a good way. they give me what i don't expect and i like it.

typically i try to say "i like this beer because _________" or "i don't like this beer because ________"

__________________
TipsyDragon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 3,179
Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default huh????

Is it just me or does this thread lack the needed context? I mean are we talking brewer to brewer, brewer to beer snob, brewer to frat boy??? This has a HUGE impact as to the base of the discussion...

I will guess that you mean for this to be a blanket thing but really it is not. I mean BMC even started people arguing amongst themselves in the "taste great/less filling" BS marketing scheme years ago...

I can also add as brewers that we get exposed to things that most people would never be. Point in case. I drank the last "drippings + bottom of the bottling bucket (less than 8 oz)" of an imperial IPA, I was not gonna dump it..., there was "hop material" in the bottom of it that made the beer a little cloudy. I shared it with SWMBO (who screams I hate IPAs but will try anything) she said "WOW that is like drinking liquid hops and it really wasn't that bad..."

It really DOES come down to "what I think tastes good" that influences my brews and the beers I buy.

I was given a 6er of a micro brewery wheat beer. (since I wish to avoid any drama no names will be mentioned.) It tasted like it was filtered through hot rotten trash in the sun. I will NEVER put that stuff in my mouth again...IDC how much you tell me it is fantastic...maybe essence of 2 month old used baby diapers is your thing...maybe I got a bad batch, at this point the damage is done and my opinion is solidified.

__________________
Zamial is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Babylon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschof View Post
From another thread:



I am curious what other people think about this. I tend to think that arguing about the merits and demerits of beer has its value, so long as you say more than "I like it" or "I don't." For instance, when I say something good about a beer, I don't just mean "I like it" but something more like: "There is something to be appreciated about this beer."

As an example, some people hate Midas Touch and complain that it is way too sweet. My response is usually that you need to be in the right mood. It isn't the same thing you would want on a hot day in the late afternoon after mowing a lawn. But treat it like an after dinner drink-- maybe as a dessert. Getting in that frame of mind can allow a lot of people to appreciate what is good about it.

Or some people complain about other DogFish Head stuff that they are just throwing random ingredients together without regard for taste. My response is to explain what I like about various beers. For instance, Palo Santo Marron has that crazy Palo Santo wood. I like it because it gives it this very rich vanilla favor without having to put tons of chocolate malt in it. So it ends up being a brown that has vanilla character, which I like.

I've changed my opinions about IPAs because of the way people describe them. At first they all tasted to me like just a bunch of random hops were thrown in. Some still taste like that to me, but I have others that I like now (DFH 90, Harpoon, HopDevil).

Anyway, I guess this is a defense of arguing about beer a little, rather than simply throwing up our hands and saying "it is all a matter of taste." Of course, eventually we'll hit bedrock and some people will just find some things gross. But maybe we shouldn't think we've hit bedrock too quickly.
I didn't enjoy Midas Touch. Not because of the sweetness, it tasted off to me in ways I can't really explain. I do like discussing the merits of a beer, when I can get my head wrapped around why I enjoyed it or why I did not.
__________________
Babylon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
Pschof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 110
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I didn't enjoy Midas Touch. Not because of the sweetness, it tasted off to me in ways I can't really explain. I do like discussing the merits of a beer, when I can get my head wrapped around why I enjoyed it or why I did not.
It uses saffron rather than hops (it gets a little hops). It's a really odd and strong tasting spice. Maybe that's it.
__________________
Pschof is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heineken differences? AviatorTroy General Beer Discussion 19 05-17-2010 07:34 PM
Differences between British and American IPAs? adamhimself General Beer Discussion 7 02-25-2010 08:00 AM
Flavor differences in bottles Christian General Beer Discussion 9 02-14-2009 01:00 PM
Keg / Bottle differences Adam's Apples General Beer Discussion 1 01-02-2008 11:24 AM
First AG taste AleHole General Beer Discussion 9 03-22-2007 03:58 PM