Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Argggg! Over carbonated AGAIN!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #11
kingogames
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Or you're opening them too early. Many times, the yeast will product CO2 (the gushing) but that CO2 won't actually get absorbed by the beer for a few weeks, hence the under carbonated beer with the gushing at opening. Put them down, walk away for two weeks and try again. FYI- I usually bottle carb a minimum of 3 weeks (I personally schedule out 28 days) before trying a new brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #12
cshamilton
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Patience is key, look at Revvy's sticky...

Anyway - for most beers 3+ weeks in the bottle, then 48 hours in the fridge. You say the beers spew foam but are undercarbed, you aren't giving the beer time to properly dissolve the CO2.

5 oz for 5 gallons is on the high side, but should not cause gushing if you let them sit longer and properly chill. Nonchilled beer will eventually dissolve all the CO2, but it will take weeks.

My most recent recipes: http://www.brewtoad.com/brewers/191

kingogames Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #13
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
Isn't it important to know the highest temperature reached at/after the end of fermentation? Since more CO2 off-gasses at a higher temperature, that value is used to compensate for CO2 left over from fermentation. So if you crash cool at 40 before bottling, that's not the value you enter, but the temp you fermented/ D-rested at (60ish?), right?
+1 - Many of the calculators are a little confusing, in that they ask you for the beer temp but don't explain the what/when/why. It would be easy to think you should stick a thermometer in your bottling bucket and enter that number.... Not necessarily correct depending on how you fermented as tennasseean pointed out.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #14
JiBiru8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My over carbonation problems ended when I started to rack the beer from the primary to a "bottling bucket," aka my brewpot. Off the trub, I can more accurately measure how much beer I will actually be bottling, and calculate how much sugar to use. Prior to doing this, I was bottling straight from the carboy, and was most likely overestimating how much beer I was actually getting into the bottles.

Quick Reply