HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Arctic Alchemy..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
mrbowenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Arctic Alchemy..

I wanted to share my somewhat unusal project with the HBT community, since it's beer related , give me your comments on thoughts on this adventure I am taking in July 2010.

Some of you may remember back in 2007 a bottle of Allsopp's Arctic Ale went up for bidding on Ebay, short discussion here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/ebay-1852-allsopps-arctic-ale-35841/

Although I never bid on this item, I fell in love with the story and started doing research on the bottle , the history, and the brewer. After almost 2 years of extensive research I came up with a few things.

1. This is a much bigger story than meets the eye.
2. This is an almost international treasure involving 3 countries of unparalelled importance.
3. How could I tell this mysterious story in a way that would interest all ?

A short bit about me, I am a homebrewer who has taken the hobby to some extremes, about the same time I started researching this bottle , I started to focus on historical re-enactments of a early 19th century brewer here in Pennsylvania, I currently have a muesum exhibit where I am a guest curator. In 2007 I also won the gold medal at the GABF ProAM, became a beer judge and competed in competitions all over including Hawaii. ( ok, so what )

About 8 months ago I got this crazy idea to combine a few interests of mine to tell this story to the world. I thought about three things that I love, beer , history and motorcycles, to that end I present you with Arctic Alchemy..discoveries of the Red Hand.

Here's the story:
In July 2010, I am departing from Bethlehem with two friends on a 3 week journey about 2000 miles north to the Canadian Arctic. The purpose is to recreate a historic and somewhat mysterious ale that was originally commissioned by Queen Victoria in 1851 to ensure health and nutritional value to a team of Arctic Explorers. These explorers were on a rescue mission to find the remains of a previous mission some 9 years earlier. Sir Edward Belcher took 5 ships and several thousand bottles of Allsopp's Arctic Ale on the journey; the ale was almost 12% alcohol and packed with hops to provide a powerful antiscorbutic defense against scurvy, a leading killer of long arctic voyages.
Exploring the Northwest Passage, was a ridiculously dangerous mission, especially in the 19th century, Allsopp's Ale, withstood the sub-freezing temperatures and was regarded so highly for its taste and healing properties. Sir Edward Belcher failed on his journey, abandoned 4 of the 5 ships in the ice, and returned to England to be court-marshalled (some thanks... huh?). A few of the bottles of Allsopp’s Ale came back to England, where in 2007 a bottle came up on EBay, and reportedly sold for 503,000.00 dollars (this is what caught my interest). To my knowledge, there are only 2 bottles left in the world from the 1852 expedition.

I have researched this ale in the deepest of all journals and records, both here and abroad I now have a recipe for this Ale, and intend to brew it near the Belcher Islands of the Hudson Bay in the Canadian Arctic.

The story of this important ale is very obscure, but has deep historical significance, one of Belcher's ship's that was abandoned, the HMS Resolute, has been brought into the light recently with the modern movie " National Treasure ", not sure if you are familiar, but you can Google the Resolute , and the two desks that where made from the ships timbers . It's the desk in the Oval office of President Obama, the other one is in Buckingham Palace (the Queen sits at that one.)

Here's the rub,
• The modern journey is to be filmed into a 60 minute documentary We are driving adventure style motorcycles , being followed by a support vehicle/ filmmakers
• I am brewing outside in the element's on the shoreline of the Hudson Bay
• We are making several stops along the way , French Canadian breweries, historical stops, Inuit and Cree Indian villages for interviewing and cultural events
• We are bringing back about 100 gallons of our beer to bottle and promote the film, using water from the famous Rupert River.

The name of the documentary is “Arctic Alchemy, discoveries of the Red Hand ......" (The red hand was the trade mark of Allsopp's brewery, which went out of business in the late 1920’s

Last week, we started filming some early footage , the history, the purpose, and who we are etc. I am working with a very experienced filmmaker from Utah and California, and two cinematographers from Russia.

In addition, I now own an orginal " full and sealed " bottle of the 1852 ale, and have a recipe for the ale .

here are some shots :

My bottle of Allsopp's

Me and one of the other riders

You can join me on Facebook here, we are launching a website shortly

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1485999183#/pages/Arctic-Alchemy/197637538644?ref=mf

Old 12-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Just Joined!!!! THis is an amazing tale!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
conpewter

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds like an awesome adventure, love the story and the bottle of Arctic ale!

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Ashz

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

HOLY HELL. This sounds awesome! And how the hell did you get a bottle? I envy you this adventure.

-------
The universe is wider than our views of it.
-Henry David Thoreau

Old 12-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good luck!

Are you sharing the recipe? Which production company are you working with? How are you planning to market the beer? Like Ashz, curious about how you came upon the bottle.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
thantos

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Love this story so far, but that bottle was never actually sold ! The guy backed out of the bid !

Here's the short story....

"’I talked to him the evening of and he basically said he wasn’t going to follow-through. He came out up front and said his bid was a joke bid.’"

As for the fake high bidder, a resident of Somerville, Mass., and the subject of an article in the Somerville News for winning such an historic item, he has emerged unscathed and continues to buy and sell on eBay.

http://www.antiqueweek.com/ArchiveArticle.asp?newsid=550

Here's an interesting one on the original owner of the ebay bottle and how it only sold for $304.00......

http://www.newlifeauctions.com/allsopp.html

http://greatblogabout.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/beer-2d3-small.jpg

"I love the Devil, Cause the Devil is Rock n Roll ! ! !"

Last edited by thantos; 12-26-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
mrbowenz

Recipes 

The Ebay story is somewhat sad, yes, it remains unsold by the second seller( I have been in contact with him). I aquired mine privately in England. The world record for most expensive beer resides with the Hindenberg bottle that sold a few weeks ago at $ 8000.00 pounds

The adventure takes place in July of 2010 , since I am traveling by motorbike, July into August is the only reasonable time to take this on. We started filming last week for a trailer and some front end history.

I will post in the Equipment thread the brewing system I am building for the two day session. I will sit on the recipe for now( sorry ) , but the original gravity is 1.130 and is similar to English Barleywine with a buttload of hops, it's also barrel aged for 6 months.

I can't express enough how difficult all the logistics are for this adventure, 3 motorbikes, and 7 crew members from 3 different countries, visa's, brewing equipment, almost 600 lbs of grain , film equipment...etc.

We will ride north till the road ends, then ride some more to brew. After 2 days of brewing, we fly north to Resolute Bay and Beechey Island , which is the basecamp for North Pole expeditions ( Population 225 ) .

We are shooting for a DVD release of December 2010 , roughly a year from now .

Old 12-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
143headphones
Recipes 

Yes, it really sounds awesome..
Just like any other guys here, I also love the story..

Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Keith_Mahoney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you doing a trip log on ADV? I am just going to go with the assumption that you are a member of that site.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
mrbowenz

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Mahoney View Post
Are you doing a trip log on ADV? I am just going to go with the assumption that you are a member of that site.
You guessed right, yes , ADV is a great site, I am waiting to post this over there, it's a tough crowd, Horizons Unlimited is also going to carry this. FYYFF

Quick Reply