Architecture Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnash87

Reaction score
I'm currently doing a design project for architecture school that incorporates a bar as well as an urban farm. I don't know a lot about growing for beer or any alcoholic drinks, but I was wondering what would be some good products to grow that could be supported in a bar?

Hops and Barley are the obvious choice, but hops need a lot of sun and barley needs a lot of space. Any sort of fruit is always nice too.

Is this an outdoor bar or an indoor farm?

hydroponics is something I've been looking into. But wouldn't the size of the hops plants be too large for a hydroponic system?

it's our interpretation as to how to treat the bar as interior or exterior. I've thinking it it's a bit of both where there is interactions between the "bar" and the actual growing spaces

Hydroponics leads to the topic of polyculture. A recirculating system of water going from a fish tank to the garden and returning to the fish. Many people are going to these systems and getting quite creative in what they are growing for fruits and vegetables and raising for protein. I have seen online examples of everything from Tilapia to Shrimp, Catfish to Trout. The fish tank provides all of the nutrients for the plants and depending upon species used, you will need very little to support the protein source.

The best kind of thing to grow and incorporate into a bar, is a profit.

Hops, could be trained to grow as a canopy for a patio cover. Sort of like grapes.

The best kind of thing to grow and incorporate into a bar, is a profit.

Hops, could be trained to grow as a canopy for a patio cover. Sort of like grapes.
you mean like this?
attachment.php

528509_345301902215722_1542434847_n.jpg

I love the idea of having a hydroponic hops system. I think hydroponics is a great way to grow, especially in small spaces. I also love the idea of vegetation as ornamentation like the images are showing. Would having barley and hops as well as grapes in my growing spaces be too much? I probably need to look at how hops benefit my bar and how to incorporate brewing into the program.

I love the idea of having a hydroponic hops system. I think hydroponics is a great way to grow, especially in small spaces. I also love the idea of vegetation as ornamentation like the images are showing. Would having barley and hops as well as grapes in my growing spaces be too much? I probably need to look at how hops benefit my bar and how to incorporate brewing into the program.

Pick a hop. Build a randall. Spotlight beers on draft that would be complimented by said hop and randalization. Make it a seasonal offering.

Hmm... You're also going to need to find a way to utilize the ingredients unless the bar is also a brewery.

The hops can be fresh hopped into beers seasonally, but the barley is going to be ornamental unless you're doing some small brewing on site. Even though a lawn of flowing waves of grain would be pretty at the bar.

Spices are an option we haven't talked about.

You could grow cilantro and put the coriander seeds in some of the beers and the leaves in some chip dip, salsa, or guac.

The total square footage of the bar listed in the program description is 2000 sf. Is that enough to include a small brewery on site? I think I can always move square footage from other pieces of the program to the bar but I'm trying to stick with the 2000 listed.

With 2,000 square feet I don't see why we can't have a hop garden, barley field, vineyard, orchard, malt factory, brewery, winery, and some cozy seating areas nestled throughout.

With 2,000 square feet I don't see why we can't have a hop garden, barley field, vineyard, orchard, malt factory, brewery, winery, and some cozy seating areas nestled throughout.
Can't tell if this is sarcastic, or just no idea of exactly how large 2,000 sq ft is. I wouldn't try cramming all of those features into my 10,000 sq ft yard.

Can't tell if this is sarcastic, or just no idea of exactly how large 2,000 sq ft is. I wouldn't try cramming all of those features into my 10,000 sq ft yard.

Dude, it's 2,000 square feet, that's huge. We can fit all of that and way more. I was assuming that included the parking lot space too.

Yes, I was being wildly sarcastic. :)

Dude, it's 2,000 square feet, that's huge. We can fit all of that and way more. I was assuming that included the parking lot space too.

Yes, I was being wildly sarcastic. :)
If you knew some of the rocket surgeons I have to deal with, you'd understand my concern :)

an on site brewery is fine, just use your fermenters as tables, kegs as chairs, and have a stove for both bar food and brew kettles.

Does anybody have like a sample floor plan of a brewery implemented into a bar? I'd like to have some sort of reference while I'm working on the project.

I think that can be easily obtained by a trip to a brew pub with a sketch pad and a camera.

Does anybody have like a sample floor plan of a brewery implemented into a bar? I'd like to have some sort of reference while I'm working on the project.
geez, are you a first-year archi student or what? You want us to design your project for you too?

You can do as Matt suggested .... or, you can do google search on brewery floor plan, or there are a couple samples on google sketchup warehouse, or you can visit you local building department, explain that you're a student and see if they can let you look at floor plans.

Are you talking about physically integrating parts of the brewery into the "public" bar area? Not sure if that would be possible - I wouldn't be surprised if certain health codes forbid that. I could be wrong, but I'd at least check into it.

Back