Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Apologies to Revvy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
monty3777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Apologies to Revvy

I have always been suspicious of the current trend in brewing that leaving beer in a primary for extended periods will IMPROVE beer flavor because the yeast "clean up" during that time. I have said as much in several exchanges with Revvy. I have my reasons to doubt this but I have stated them and won't bother rehashing theories. I never doubted that it wouldn't hurt the beer to let them sit - but I doubted that there would be a marked improvement.

With that said I brewed a Belgian Wit and an IPA in the spring and simply did not have enough time to get them in bottles or kegs until 2 weeks ago. We have finally started drinking them and they are by far the best beers I have ever made - or tasted. In fact I am finding myself reluctant to drink any because I know I will run out soon.

I'm still not sure the improvement has to do with yeast activity - but whatever the reasons I will have to say to those of you, especially Revvy, who I have publically challenged on this forum - I am a choad and I should never be listened to, ever. I think I'll be leaving beers in primaries for several months from here on out. The beers are THAT good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

That's usually what happens, when someone actually tries it, instead of just "armchair quarterbacking" then they usually become converts.

That's how we ALL did it, we tried it THEN made our decisions.

Enjoy your better beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I made the switch to extended primary over a year ago. I'll just say I'm not lookin' back.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been out of HBT for about a year, so maybe I'm missing something here. I typically leave my brews in primary for 3-5 weeks before bottling. Are we saying now that leaving them for longer periods works?

I'm not trying to open old wounds or rehash something that's been beat to death. I was laid off back in late '09 and have just recently regained employment (Sept '10). I now have disposable income once again so I'm getting caught back up on homebrewing.

- CStone

Old 12-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodlemania View Post
I've been out of HBT for about a year, so maybe I'm missing something here. I typically leave my brews in primary for 3-5 weeks before bottling. Are we saying now that leaving them for longer periods works?
No he's just been a naysayer on this topic and is saying he is a convert. You're fine leaving your beers as long as you do.

Though I did just bottle my chocolate mole porter that sat 5.5 months in primary and there were no detrimental effects.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
monty3777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To be sure I have left beer in primarys for a long time and never had bad results, but I also never had "better" results - so I do think my conclusions were based on experience. What is different about these two batches is extend times in the fermenter (talking about several months as opposed to, say, one month).

I do wonder what exactly is causing the better results. Yeast activity stops relatively quickly so I wonder if there may be another explanation. Either way - good stuff.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Bradmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is there a substantial difference between leaving on the yeast cake in primary and letting suspended yeast in secondary do the job? I ask because I have only one 6.5gal primary and several 5 gallons that are only suitable for secondary unless I'm doing mini batches.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
monty3777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodlemania View Post

I'm not trying to open old wounds or rehash something that's been beat to death. I was laid off back in late '09 and have just recently regained employment (Sept '10). I now have disposable income once again so I'm getting caught back up on homebrewing.
Glad to hear that you are back to work!

In the past I have bottled quickly (say two weeks) and I've waited (say a month or a month and a half). I have not really noticed any difference in quality with those time frames. Certainly I have always agreed with the notion that leaving beer in primarys for extended times won't HURT the beer. However, this time I brewed in May and bottled in December. Now I see an actual improvement. The seven month interval seems to have made a real difference.

I should also say that I suspect it's not the yeast but some other factor that makes the beer improve with more time in the fermenter. But since I'm no expert I'll just say that whatever it is - it works.

Here's what I'd do if I were you - brew a batch and forget about it (so long as you have some control over temps) and see for yourself. Nothing to lose but a fermenter!

Old 12-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I now ferment two weeks at a minimum before kegging.

What's a choad?

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
monty3777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmont View Post
Is there a substantial difference between leaving on the yeast cake in primary and letting suspended yeast in secondary do the job? I ask because I have only one 6.5gal primary and several 5 gallons that are only suitable for secondary unless I'm doing mini batches.
This suggests a great experiment - though I know it doesn't help with your immediate question. I should brew a beer and let one sit in the primary and rack one off into a secondary and let them both sit for 5+ months.

As for your question - I suspect the better quality of beer you will be making is worth another investment in an additional 6.5 gallon ale pale. My results, and I suspect the results of most other folks, suggests there is something in that cake (yes, may even be the yeast) that helps the beer mature in flavor.

Quick Reply