Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > the apartment brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
coolbeerluke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default the apartment brewer

I'm not sure what the home brewer / apartment brewer ratio is... probably like 9/1. but, who all is an apartment brewer?
Even further, being an apartment brewer, I know of the many challenges associated with living in a tiny box. What are some of peoples obstacles?
My biggest problem is getting ready for all-grain, but lacking the great outdoors for big bad brass burner to heat up water and boil wort. It would be one thing even having a gas range in my kitchen, but no...I'm stuck with an electric one (which takes a long time to bring a 16 quart brewpot to a boil, let alone a 32 quart one when it comes to all-grain).

I guess the point of this thread is not to bitch about my lack of resources and other brewing issues, but rather to learn from other people's situations to better my own. So, tell me about your problems!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im an apartment brewer, also with an electric stove. Maybe when I'm home in the summer and for winter break Ill use my Dad's turkey fryer and do some all grain batches.

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
gator_brewer
Recipes 

Not only am I an apartment brewer, but as a college student I have 3 other roommates who get mad when I make my wort, and only have my closet to store primaries/secondaries and under my bed for bottles.

Still, the most annoying thing is the crappy electric stove that barely gets a boil going on 3gal.

But at the end of the day, once everything works out, it's still one hell of a beer, so it's been a good day.

Off topic: I'm drinking an Old Sckatch Amber Lager, tastes like crap, I don't recommend it, good thing I only bought one.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I do AG in my apartment, but I'm lucky in that my stove will boil 7 gallons.

A tip that I would give though would be to look for a local club or something and get some guys to host group brew days. That way you can just brew at someone else's place.

I also brewed out in our parking lot a couple times until they yelled at me.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
aryiman
Recipes 

I am an AG apartment brewer and I can get 5.5 gallons up to a rolling boil in 30-40 mins on my electric stove. I use two burners and it works out well. The problems I have is that I have little room and that when I brew it smells throughout the house and SWMBO does not like it. It takes me about 5 hours from prep to clean up to do AG in my apartment. If anyone has questions Id be glad to help but I cannot wait until the spring when I get a house!

I subscribed to this thread because I thought was going to need it but I don't.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/impr...tovetop-53683/

"Relax. Have a homebrew!"

Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

I'm also a college apartment brewer with 3 roomates. Luckily I have a back porch that I can use a burner on. Before I got the burner my apartment smelled of wort for a week.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
coolbeerluke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I do AG in my apartment, but I'm lucky in that my stove will boil 7 gallons.

A tip that I would give though would be to look for a local club or something and get some guys to host group brew days. That way you can just brew at someone else's place.

I also brewed out in our parking lot a couple times until they yelled at me.
I suppose I could give the parking lot a try...and yes, being in college is very difficult. I can't wait to get out and buy a house with a massive garage/basement/backyard so I can brew peacefully and happily, and quicker!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'm a small loft brewer with little space and no yard, and no parking lot...so the majority of my brewing is stove top, extract w/grain, partial mashes and 2.5 gallon all grain batches in a 5 gallon pot...full volume all grain is something I can only do at someone else's place, or at an event like teach your neighbor to homebrew day, or something like that....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 AM   #9
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am not an appartment brewer but if my appartment had a balcony outside or a little porch then I would try to develop a brew system on that...would probably need a pump because holding a HLT high above a balcony could be a prolem if it fell

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 10-28-2008, 04:20 AM   #10
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

I brew in an apartment. I AG and usually use my burner/keggle on the sidewalk in front of my apartment. (I always wait till they've left to start brewing so they don't yell at me. ) Just do what you can. It's great to go AG but you'll be limited if you cant boil. You can do two pots on a stove and split your hop additions. However it's a pain in the a$$. You gotta just keep at it and you'll develop a rhythm. Good Luck!

What's tappening? :D

Quick Reply