The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone use a water chiller before a wort chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
RootDownBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone use a water chiller before a wort chiller?

What I mean is do any of you use a chiller in an ice batch in between your spigot and your wort chiller to really cool down the ground water? As the summer heat starts to beat down, cooling the wort is getting harder and harder.

I spent 20 mins on my last batch just getting the wort below 80F and had to wait another several hours in my fermentation chamber to get it to pitching temp.

I'm considering building a very small chiller to go in an ice bath to rapidly cool the ground water temp down in route to the wort chiller in hopes that I can speed the process up and not waste so much damn h20 and time!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
1KD1
Recipes 

I'm interested as well. I tried a submersible pump in a cooler with frozen gallon jugs of water (to create an "ice bath"). It didn't work well at all. The hot water being returned to the cooler over powered the frozen jugs ability to keep the water cool. Within ten minutes the water was hot to the touch.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 255

I do. My water is at least 80* in the summer, higher if the hose is running across the lawn in the hot sun.

I fill a cooler with ice and set a 25' 3/8" chiller in the cooler and run a short hose to my 50' 3/8" IC in my wort. To cool quickly I have to keep both chillers moving in their respective liquids, but I get down to 65 in about 12 minutes and use less than 20 gallons of water.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I use a Hayden 457 oil cooler as my pre-chiller for my Alabama (so-called) cooling water. It wasn't really necessary when the tap water was in the 60's, now it's in the mid-70's and forget trying to get the wort cooled using unchilled tap water.

But it's still not enough so I need to go from pre-chilling tap water to a recirculating the chill water itself using a cheapo HF pond pump. I'll get that before my next brew in the next week or so.

Pics:

Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Yep, every time. Spigot to 25' chiller submersed in ice/water to 50' chiller in wort. Chills 12 gals to about 65F in about 45 mins... I also use Jamil's recirculation setup.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With summer coming you may have to. I don't understand how people can cool to 70F with 76F water, but you'll find people on the boards who achieve the impossibility, and do it within 30 minutes to complete their 3 hours, AG brew day.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I need a pre-chiller. With our tap water, I can get the wort to about 80 degrees, but I have to put it in my kegerator to get it down to pitching temps.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Horseballs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i feed my wort chiller from my bottling bucket, which I fill with ice

Old 06-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I use an IC and submersible pump/ice water recirc. My summertime city water temps average around 76˚F. It takes about 10 minutes to get my wort down from boiling to ~100˚F with this water directly into the IC due to the large temperature differential between boiling wort and even relatively high temp tap water. At that point the temperature differential is not great enough for chilling any further in a reasonable amount of time.

Now the objective is to create another large temperature differential. Disconnect the city water from the IC and go into ice water recirc mode with the submersible pump in a 5 gallon bucket filled with tap water and store bought crushed ice. The pump discharges the ice water into the IC and the return water goes back into the ice water bucket. This an efficient use of the ice, as the return water temp is no so high as to obliterate the ice as it recirculates. I use about two 5lb bags of ice, topped off with city water. I'm able to go the rest of the way from ~100˚F to lager pitching temps (~55˚F) if I want in about another 5-7 minutes with this method.

If you're cooling an ale, it's very easy to over cool using this method, so watch your temps closely.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I could only find 20' or 50' copper tubing and the 50' cost more that what the 10' extra would be so I made two 20' coil immersion chillers. One is smaller so it would fit inside the first, or as I usually do one goes in a bucket of ice water and the other into the wort. It still usually takes close to 1/2 hour.

I haven't figured out how people get their wort cooled in 10 minutes with an immersion chiller???

Quick Reply