anyone subscribe to BYO magazine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomelessWook

Reaction score
i started brewing in december when my girl gave me an early birthday present - i got straight to work - in the box with my brew equipment was an add for Brew Your Own magazine. my girlfriend grabbed it up and said she was going to order me it and until monday of this week i had completely forgotten this had happened

i open the mailbox and low and behold i have an issue of BYO

after reading the first issue i received i enjoyed it. i read a great article on dry hopping, a article on how to judge my brews, and there are about 10 recipes for partial/all grain brews in there.

pretty excited about this - was wondering if anyone subscribed and how it was? im a new brewer and have only done one batch (been meaning to do another for over a month but been busy) so im wondering if this magazine has appeal to all levels of brewers or not.

it seemed to really get into a few advanced techniques.

BYO is a good magazine for all levels of brewers(maybe excluding professionals) I enjoy rreading it every month. I've gotten a lot of great tips and ideas from them.

Kind of a silly question to ask at a brewing website, isn't it? :D

Hang on to that lady. She'll learn to regret her encouragement, but by then you'll be able to blame it all on her.

It's one of two magazines I subscribe too that I actually read more then 1 or 2 articles.

The other - if you have gardens is Garden Gate which is a cover to cover read.

BYO is great - Zymurgy is another mag i WISH I had a subscription too

Very good magazine.......and speaking of it i have to send in my payment i keep forgetting it on my computer desk at home..

I get Zymurgy and BYO. I like BYO quite a bit, but I'm not sure I like the new format. It seems like it's "cleaner" looking, but it also seems to be more bare, if that makes sense.

I get Zymurgy and BYO. I like BYO quite a bit, but I'm not sure I like the new format. It seems like it's "cleaner" looking, but it also seems to be more bare, if that makes sense.

I picked up my first copy of BYO at Borders and I thought it seemed kind of lean, too. The articles I read really were only rehashing things I read here and it seemed most of the advertisers were sponsors/advertisers on this site!

I may pick up another issue at newsstand price to give it another try (maybe the issue I got was just a bad one), but, for what I get out of coming here and reading, I'm not sure if I'd subscribe to BYO.

Its lean and chock full of ads, most of my computer ones I read are too. Its annoying but I still like reading it. I guess the trick is to get it half price splitting the cost with a friend when you get the buy one subscription get one free card.

Its lean and chock full of ads, most of my computer ones I read are too. Its annoying but I still like reading it. I guess the trick is to get it half price splitting the cost with a friend when you get the buy one subscription get one free card.

I've been waiting for one of those deals for a while now... I might just break down and pay full price(god forbid!) soon...

BYO could be one of the GREATEST magazines ever published. But seriously, I've been reading BYO for a few issues now and I've probably already learned just about everything the magazine has to teach. I was reluctant to believe it at first because I really wanted the magazine to be something I could get into. It just seems a lot of the issues have informative but recurring articles; dry hopping, beer and cheese, dry hopping, oak aging, bubbles, dry hopping...etc. IDK I've only read several issues, and I'm sure the magazine can only get better as the craft beer revolution grows and we as brewers push the boundries of beer to new heights.

I'll still continue reading BYO in between Draft, and All About Beer magazines. And I'm hoping to pick up a few issues of Zymurgy but my local news stand and book retailer don't seem to carry it.

I subscribe to BYO and it is pretty good but I like Zymurgy a lot better.

The best way to get Zymurgy and to support the homebrewing hobby is to join the AHA.

I've only received a few months worth of BYO, but I find the content quite stale. Content here on the forum and other internet resources match or exceed the magazine. One pet peeve I've got about Jamil's style column in each magazine is that it's simply regurgitated content from his book and BN episodes. I appreciate the notion of contributing to help the beer community, but I'd choose somewhere else to do so.

thanks people - i understand what you all are saying - i too made a comment about how many adds there were in the magazine but was quickly thrown a southern living magazine and told to flip through it - just as many adds in there.

as for the reoccurring information - that is fine with me - still have a lot to learn and hearing it multiple times doesnt hurt - it did seem pretty 'lean' though - the only other magazines i have subscribed too are espn magazine and SI but that was years ago - both seemed to be about triple the size

thanks for the recommendations on other mags. ill have to grab them at the news stand and give them a whirl.

Had a subscription, let it lapse. It's a lot like Mad magazine, after you've got 12 issues, you've got everything.

It seems like all magazines have tons of ads, so I don't hold that against them.
They have good articles such as the one profiling Sierra Nevada and their process for their Torpedo "Extra" IPA. Gotta have something to read when you're "on the throne," so it might as well be this.

BYO could be one of the GREATEST magazines ever published. But seriously, I've been reading BYO for a few issues now and I've probably already learned just about everything the magazine has to teach. I was reluctant to believe it at first because I really wanted the magazine to be something I could get into. It just seems a lot of the issues have informative but recurring articles; dry hopping, beer and cheese, dry hopping, oak aging, bubbles, dry hopping...etc. IDK I've only read several issues, and I'm sure the magazine can only get better as the craft beer revolution grows and we as brewers push the boundries of beer to new heights.

I'll still continue reading BYO in between Draft, and All About Beer magazines. And I'm hoping to pick up a few issues of Zymurgy but my local news stand and book retailer don't seem to carry it.

Good news! I hear next issue has an article on Dry Hopping

I get BYO and Zymurgy. I like both, but Zymurgy is by far the better magazine. But, of course, everyone on this board should be getting Zymurgy already since every homebrewer should be a member of the AHA... ;)

I also let me subscription to BYO lapse. It's OK, but it wasn't worth the price and limited issues.

I enjoy it but wish the issues were a little meatier. I am pumped when it comes in the mail but it only takes a half hour or so to flip through reading all the articles and glancing at the recipes.

Back