Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone smoke hops?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sounds like the perfect time for my old friend Let me Google that for you:

Let me google that for you

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #12
Notnice
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

lol, I was wondering the opposite. like has anyone used the "hop cousin" in a beer?

Priming: CBB 1.1, apfelwein
Chillin:1st Mead, ApfelMango-Cyzer, aleApfelwein,blackchapfelwein,blackfelwein,
Blucyzer, Cyzer.
Bottled: Apfelwein 2, Crazy Beech Bitter
Trench Town Brown, Mouf of the Souf Stout, New Mouf of the Souf, Oaked Apfel, Slow-wit
Next Up:Cream ale, Scott red, 888RIS or cocoOatmealRIS, Apfelwein and more Apfelwein

"Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep you're mouth shut."-E. Hemingway

Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #13
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnice View Post
lol, I was wondering the opposite. like has anyone used the "hop cousin" in a beer?
I read about a Reefer Barleywine a little while back. Micheal Jackson (the brew dude, not the wierdo) said it was very good, and relaxing. I've entertained the idea of doing a "special dryhop;" maybe one day.

Regarding the hops thing: in the UK, and perhaps other parts of Europe, one can find herbal cigarettes that are a mix of hops and one other ingredient that's supposed to catalyze/increase the natural effect of hops. I've heard they're somewhat relaxing, but not and more or less so when compared to a standard tabaccy cig.

Burn it down man, only way to find out. I'd think that the smoke would be terribly acrid/bitter, but who knows.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #14
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Are there any info/recipes on doing that 'special dryhop' anywhere?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #15
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

I think that a dry hop would leave the majority of the special ingredient behind. I would at do it as an aroma if not boil addition.

The special ingredient does survive high temperatures. Obviously.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #16
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastricky View Post
Are there any info/recipes on doing that 'special dryhop' anywhere?
It's just the type of thing you'd have to "wing" (believe me, I've looked all over the place for info). I'd say proceed in a fashion similar to a standard dryhop. Use the best you can find, no dirt. For a five gallon batch, you want to use at least 1 ounce (again, provided it's best of the best). Whatever you do, don't add it to the boil. The reasons for this are manifold, but perhaps most importantly because the active goodies do not dissolve in water, period, regardless of temp (alcohol/solvent and fat soluble only).

Make sure the beer itself is of barleywine strength (10%+), or else you won't dissolve the good stuff as effectively. Pre-grinding will probably help the cause. Perhaps best that the brew isn't overloaded with hops (ie: on the low to medium end for the style), so that the goodness has no problems getting into solution. That said, wouldn't hurt to add some herbal hops in the dryhop, such as Nugget, to complement the flavor/aroma.

Another option is to make a tincture with your special hops and everclear (look around the net for instructions), then add this to your secondary along with any standard hops. This seems like cheating to me, though.

Probably want to choose a "special hop" that's more herbal/fruity/floral when compared to skunky, for obvious reasons. I might work up a recipe one of these days.

kyle415 Likes This 
Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #17
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

how about soaking it in vodka and adding that? If it is alcohol soluable this might work?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #18
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
how about soaking it in vodka and adding that? If it is alcohol soluable this might work?
That's what I meant when I said tincture w/ everclear. Recipes for tincture are all over the net. It's probably the best method for a "sure thing." The efficacy of a ~10% ABV brew in dissolving special stuff has certainly not been established/proven, but tinctures are made (quite effectively) all the time.

If one were to pursue the tincture route, then the brew itself should probably be of a more modest starting ABV, as the everclear will bump it up. Difficult to say whether adding the tincture would be best at secondary or bottling, but I'm tempted to say bottling, especially if you're in the habit of stirring the brew after every few bottles.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #19
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Good info Pelikan... thanks, the gears are turning in my head on this one. A variation on an ESB might be a good candidate. It'd be 'Extra Special' alright!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #20
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 222

...note to self...arrange swap with Pelican and fastricky...

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Closed Thread

Quick Reply