Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone seen Papazian's "Black Samba" recipe in the latest Zymurgy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
arover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Anyone seen Papazian's "Black Samba" recipe in the latest Zymurgy?

What a tasty sounding recipe. A lagered Imperial/"Baltic" Porter. I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking of giving this sucker a go? I think I may take it on as my 3rd ever AG batch / first ever lagering of a beer. It looks creative, interesting, and challenging- the 3 things I love to have in a recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I did a brown porter using a lager yeast and dehusked black malt for my roasted malt. Super smooth and delicious, it was a big hit. I would think a stronger porter done in this way would also be great.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

He actually reccomends his 'Cry Havoc' strain (which is new to me, also used for both lagers and ales), or any other lager yeast. I'm curious, how much to style did the Porter taste/what effect did the yeast have on it?

Old 05-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It tasted to style for the most part, it was just cleaner and maybe a little softer. I used Bavarian lager yeast from white labs. It really brought out the best in the malt without any sharpness.

Quick Reply