Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone Return Beer For A Refund?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
KillerIguana
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone Return Beer For A Refund?

I recently bought a 6 pack of a locally brewed beer, and it was bad, as in old. It was just a glass of foam and smelled musty. I e-mailed the brewery and someone got back to me within a day, so that what good. I was told that I could bring the beer to the brewery for a fresh 6 pack or bring it back to where I bought it and they would replace it.

I've never returned beer, and I'm thinking, if I bring this beer back, the employees at the store will probably think I'm a real A-hole.

Anyone bring bad beer back to the store? And should I feel embarrassed for doing so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

You you return spoiled steaks that you bought?

I've exchanged a skunked Brooklyn Lager at a BW3s before. The waitress looked at me weird until I made her smell it. It's money you spent on a product that was bad. Return it like you would anything else.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i returned a draft back to a bartender last weekend. i said your lines are dirty or this keg is really old. he asked what else i wanted. got another draft. it tasted like trash.

i switched to bottles after that. and probably wont ever go back to that bar.

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
KillerIguana
Recipes 

Good point.

BTW, I meant to post this in the "General Beer Discussion" area. How do I move this thread?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

A couple of folks on here over the years have done what you've done and contacted the brewery instead of the store. I think it's a good thing to do because it lets them know with an issue usually of mishandling of the beer by either the distributor or (most usually) the store. No manufacturer wants a rep as having a bad product, not because of something they've done, but because of how it was handled after it left their control.

If a store is not properly handling their beer those at the brewery are going to want to know about it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
mcarb
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp9576 View Post
i returned a draft back to a bartender last weekend. i said your lines are dirty or this keg is really old. he asked what else i wanted. got another draft. it tasted like trash.

i switched to bottles after that. and probably wont ever go back to that bar.
I gotta start doing that. There is a local brewery that hasn't cleaned its taps in years. I have ordered two Pliny's there. And they both tasted horrible. I haven't been back.

Primary: Flanders Brown Ale, Pliny the Rye
Secondary: Prickly Pear Sour Pale, Cranberry Mead
In Bottle: Choco Chili Porter, Dyslexia Beglian Tripel
On Tap: Haus Pale Ale, Irish Red, Eggnog Stout,

Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
KillerIguana
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarb View Post
I gotta start doing that. There is a local brewery that hasn't cleaned its taps in years. I have ordered two Pliny's there. And they both tasted horrible. I haven't been back.
There's nice restaurant nearby with a good tap selection, and about 10 years ago, I only had 3 beers, but the next morning I had the biggest headache and felt sick for about a day. It didn't a cure to me that it might be dirty beer lines until I was talking to a buddy who had the same experience at the place and we both decided it had to be dirty lines. I haven't been there since.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Trader Joe's has a no questions asked return policy, I've returned a single six pack of some weird seasonal years ago and they were fine with it.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 150

If the brewery is close then I'd go swap the 6er and tell them where you got it.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 617

I've emailed a brewery before and they were very grateful and apologetic. Hey, crap happens. Sent me some sweet swag as a make up for the bad batch. I was happy.

Quick Reply