Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone notice LHBS prices steadily rising?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Anyone notice LHBS prices steadily rising?

Has anyone else noticed that your LHBS has steadily increased their pricing over the last year?

I understand prices to produce products have gone up, operating expenses, yadda yadda but I was shocked to purchase a simple Kolsch recipe:

6 lbs Pale LME - $15
1 lb Light DME- $7
2 oz Hallertau- $8
Wyeast 001 - $8

The LME and DME haven't changed in price but the price of hops kills me.

They are charging $4 for 1 oz!!!
They also quit carrying an assortment of dry yeast packets.

I am all for supporting local business but not when it doesn't make sense $$$

Unfortunately I think I will be buying my dry yeast packets and hops online instead of supporting my LHBS.

Side note, I know they aren't hurting for business because they just doubled in size!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

With the steady increases to hops and extracts, I've gradually had to transition to online purchasing in bulk as well. Particularly with hops, as I gravitate towards IPAs, and robust ones at that. I've made it clear to my shop that I'm fine spending a few extra dollars here and there on my specialty grains, but if buying a pound of Chinook online costs me the same amount as 2oz of it in the shop, I simply can't do it.

I don't mind buying yeast from them since I can wash and reuse it a few times after the purchase. However, I still have to go outside the shop for specialty yeasts and such.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
dallasdb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagee View Post
if buying a pound of Chinook online costs me the same amount as 2oz of it in the shop, I simply can't do it.

I don't mind buying yeast from them since I can wash and reuse it a few times after the purchase.
I totally agree with you, I could've purchased 8 oz of Hallertau from Morebeer for the price I paid for 2oz.

As far as yeast goes, I've never washed and reused it but after I build my All Grain rig I am going to learn how.

I can't believe that at my LHBS a complete pre-boxed recipe with yeast and grain bags was cheaper than my Kolsch recipe without grains!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
KoedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey dallasdb, not trying to be rude or anything, but have you noticed prices everywhere in America recently? Its called inflation and I don't want to get all political, but it is because of QE1 and QE2 which our government has trumped up to be "helping" the economy.

Libya has nothing to do with our gas prices...and when gas is this high it is expensive to ship all that grain and stuff to homebrew shops.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
dallasdb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoedBrew View Post
Libya has nothing to do with our gas prices...and when gas is this high it is expensive to ship all that grain and stuff to homebrew shops.
Unless other shops just have huge backlogs of hops, I'm getting overcharged. Hops have ALWAYS been really expensive at my LHBS, even a year ago they were more expensive than anywhere else. It has just gotten out of hand.

I've also noticed they've phased out all of the lower end items and now only carry high end gear. It is like a boutique now!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
Has anyone else noticed that your LHBS has steadily increased their pricing over the last year?

2 oz Hallertau- $8

They are charging $4 for 1 oz!!!
wow...just got back from mine, $2/oz pellets, $4.25/2 oz leaf

Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #7
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default /soapbox

The cost of gold is equal to bread, this has always been the case. Traditionally 1000 loaves of bread are equal to 1 oz of gold. (Feel free to check it, I bet it is pretty close...) This is VERY important because guess who also uses grains???

People were overjoyed when they learned that all the gold jewelry they owned had increased by about 25ish% in the last few years. The cost of food is now catching up with that lag.

This hobby is a food based one, so it would stand to reason that the cost of the supplies will increase as well. I understand that the hop prices seem stupid high but demand is as well. More and more people, as a result, are growing their own hops. I know I have 4 plants in the ground and this will be the 1st year there will be a harvest!

Also, the specialty vendors for hops pretty much specialize in only that so it is unfair to compare a LHBS with a specialty online vendor. It has been said 1000 times around here, LHBS are for emergencies/grains and maybe yeast 99% of the time. (I do realize there are those beyond fantastic LHBS out there...but not for us mere mortals...)

What I think, is that we need to mitigate our waste. I for one am very anxious for better weather because I will be drying my spent grain and reusing it for foods. I also believe that I will reuse some of the yeast as yeast nutrient (Dry some and then add it to the next boil .) and start my yeast bank. I even have plans for re-purposing the spent hops. If we can mitigate, even a small percentage of the waste, we will reduce the overall cost of living. So, not only does awesome home brewed beer cost me $2.00 a 6er, I get mostly free bread/baked goods and many other products/goods just waiting for the collective minds to come forth with!

/step off soapbox

I need a beer...

Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you are planning to go all grain soon, you might want to get in on the bulk buy for Colorado Malting Company that is ending soon.

Denver CMC group grain buy

You can buy base malt for less than the LHBS can now buy it for.

I purchase the majority of the hops I use from Hops Direct.

These are mostly fresh from the grower. These do offer a good selection of imported hops. You could get a POUND of German Hallertauer for under $11.00 plus shipping. I usually end up getting about 6-8 lbs of different varieties at a time to spread out the shipping costs.

Farmhouse Brewing Supplies offers smaller quantities of hops at a reasonable price.

Brewmaster's Warehouse offers better pricing on specialty grains (including the shipping costs) than I can get at my LHBS.

Like you, I am all for supporting local business. I still will go the the LHBS for certain strains of liquid yeast but I refuse to be taken advantage of.

Original "Blue Moon" recipe

New Toys for Brewing

Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 840 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Buy bulk man! It's a real chivalrous thing to support your LHBS, but that doesn't go in reverse. Try asking them to pay your electric bill one day.

I get my yeast and some odds and ends from them, but everything else is purchased in pounds through bulk buys or websites with much better prices. Next week I'm picking up 14 bags of grain for the price of 4 bags at my LHBS. NO BRAINER!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Well, LHBS prices have been creeping up because several hop varieties are in very short supply and very hard to get, and barley prices are rising because of the crappy harvest last year. Several of the dry yeast companies have sharply increased their prices. It seems like every week the wholesale prices from C&B are increasing.

Quick Reply