Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone join the AHA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Anyone join the AHA?

Anyone join the American Homebrewers Association?

I was looking at the cost and I thought it was a little rough. $38 a year or $600 for a lifetime membership. I'll have to use the AHA membership perks for 16 years for it to pay off.

Sooooo... Anyone out ther know the perks?

I have a competition that will only crown you best beer if you are a member of the AHA. I wouldn't say my beer is the est but, if it was it wouldn't matter.

Anyone know what the perks are?

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Discounts at lots of bars.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Brad2287
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts

I love the discounts. Most places around me give you something like a free flight of beer, pint, glassware, or just a 15% discount. Then there is the bonus of the members only session at great American beer fest and zymurgy.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here is a link about the discounts at bars. https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...p/member-deals

Also zymurgy magazine comes with membership. It is quite good. Lots of recipes including recipes from commercial breweries (not clones).

Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well the zymburgy magazine is a pretty good deal alone. I wish I had good bars around where I live that participate. All bars that participate are at the least an hour away

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm going to join tomorrow. The best but is that they are fighting the political battles that we don't have the money or time to on our own. Check the thread on Alabama, crazy.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #7
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I joined recently. I haven't used the discounts yet, but I make trips to participating breweries frequently enough through the year and put away quite a few beers and get growler fills that it will certainly pay for itself. I'd be willing to bet my trip to Russian River in February and the two or three times I'll hit Stone over the next year alone will make it worth it. Plus the membership fees fund an advocacy group continuously fighting for our rights.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

The discount program can cut that cost substantially if you can use it a lot. Unfortunately there's only two places within a 30 minute drive that accepts it and that's BJ's and Flying Saucer but it's only on food. I don't eat there very often. I went to Colorado for a few days and racked up a lot of free beer. Paid for at least half this year's membership.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #9
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When I signed up last year, they were giving a copy of How to Brew with the membership along with Zymurgy. And the list of breweries/brewpubs/LHBS that give a discount is extensive. My local brewery, People's, gives a free flight and I've gotten the payback from that alone. Over the last year I've gotten well over $100 in benefits/discounts from it.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #10
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have been a member for several years. There aren't a lot of places around here that actually take the discounts, or at least, not that I frequent. However, when I went up to the Sonoma valley a month or so ago, I used my AHA card all over the place and got discounts.

Despite not using any discount for years, I still maintain my membership to support homebrewing & craft beer. Zymurgy is also a pretty good magazine, although I must be the only person that doesn't enjoy getting recipes in every issue, because it seems like there are even more of them nowadays.

Quick Reply